Home Open Account Help 182 users online

Western Railroad Discussion >

Date: 12/14/14 22:18

Author: ironmtn

Norfolk Southern SD70ACe 1066, the New York Central Heritage Unit, traversed the former Wabash between St. Louis and Kansas City this past, Saturday 12/13/14. That was reputed to be a lucky number sequence for the date, and it was in fact the last sequential date for about another 20 years. The weather was damp, dreary, grey and chilly. But luck was, in fact, with the railfans in the region: a weekend visit in daylight (such as it was) by one of the classiest of the NS Heritage Units, heading autorack train 239 for UP's Armourdale Yard in Kansas City, Kansas. And apparently there was quite the railfan turnout. A radio transmission heard as the train headed into Moberly: “It’s been like that all day today all the way from St. Louis. People with cameras taking pictures.” Indeed. Add one more.

MC
Columbia, Missouri

1. NYC lightning stripes split the signals at Stamper, the interlocking at the east end of Moberly Yard. 4:36 pm CST.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 12/15/14 05:14 by ironmtn.

Date: 12/14/14 22:31

The train was first encountered on Mo. Hwy. 22, which parallels NS and KCS between Centralia and Mexico. I had not planned to pace it, but decided to do so. Traffic on Mo. 22 is typically light, and was especially so this day. I put my Nikon D5000 DSLR into video mode, and followed to the east edge of Centralia. The video is nothing great: handheld while driving carefully, trying to keep the camera steady on a bumpy secondary highway, with an occasional glance at the rear LCD panel to try to keep the image as centered as possible. Lots of wind noise with the window down, so the audio level in the video was lowered. But I liked the results. It feels like all of those times when we pace a train we come upon unexpectedly, and it turns out to have some special power to boot. How often have we all done that and wished we had the camera with us? Lucky day, 12/13/14. This time I did.

After a still shot near the KCS diamond at Clark, some additional video was possible on Business US 63 between the village of Renick and Moberly as the train slowed toward a long stop near the prison south of Moberly to allow traffic to clear in the yard ahead.

The grim, grey light of the day was probably a good thing for photographing this unit. I brightened up all images in Photoshop a fair amount to make them presentable. Still, on a sunny day, that black and grey would have soaked up lumens like a sponge, and shadows would be a constant concern. Sometimes a grey, grim, dank day can be a good thing for photography, giving smooth, even (if rather wan) light on dark colored subjects. Luck again, I guess, though I didn’t necessarily think so at the time.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/15/14 05:37 by ironmtn.

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 12/14/14 22:37

2. NS 1066 with autorack train 239 heads toward the KCS diamond in the village of Clark, Missouri, southeast of Moberly. The KCS track is visible to the left, angling in from the southeast. Clark was the birthplace of famed World War II General Omar Bradley, who later graduated from Moberly High School before heading on to West Point and a distinguished military career. He always considered Moberly to be his home town. 1:55 pm CST.

2. Stopped on the sweeping curve opposite the Moberly Correctional Center between Moberly and the village of Renick. 3:15 pm CST.

3. The 1066 heads into the crossovers at Stamper toward track 6 on the north side of the yard. 4:36 pm CST.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/14/14 22:51 by ironmtn.

Date: 12/14/14 22:44

5 and 6. The heritage of NYC lightning stripes makes an appearance on the west lead of Moberly Yard as the day’s already dim light rapidly wanes toward darkness. 4:49 pm CST.

Date: 12/15/14 00:52

Author: coach

That last photo is great. This paint scheme goes perfectly with an SD-70. Really classy looking!

Date: 12/15/14 08:37

Author: tomstp

Aw heck. I was expecting cloud to ground lightning picture.

Date: 12/15/14 12:40

Author: jderoo

Great photos and video Mark!

Date: 12/15/14 19:46

Author: ATSF2921

Nice shots, Mark. Glad you caught it.

Russell Honey
Springfield, MO
My Flickr page

Date: 12/16/14 00:27

Author: Margaret_SP_fan

Very nice photos and video! The grey day did
make the photos come out much better than a
typical sunny day, and the NYC paint scheme
looks great in that weather. Thanks for chasing
and photographing this classy-looking locomotive!

I really like the low-angle shot, too. Nioce work,
all of it!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.081 seconds