Home Open Account Help 253 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Broke the Record!

Date: 02/27/15 16:16
Broke the Record!
Author: ColoradoRailfan

Hello-

Ten days ago, it was looking like this may be one of the driest February's in Denver on record. The last ten days, however, turned that around 180° as Mother Nature brought the snow. We didn't get anything near Boston-levels of snow, but overnight 5" of snow fell to make this the snowiest February in (recorded) Denver history. We got a total of 22.2" inches this month, with the possibility of another 1-3" tomorrow.

To celebrate the record, I got a few shots of BNSF's Provo, UT to Denver, CO trackage rights train. The train frequently descends the Front Range in the late morning or early afternoon and today was no exception. Got a few shots at the east end of Rocky (UP Moffat Tunnel Sub) and one near the west end of Leyden.

The train had to hold in the siding at Leyden for awhile as BNSF's yard in Denver had no open spot for the train.

=======================

1. The manifest, which is composed primarily of tanks, makes its way through Little Ten Curve and then east through Rocky.

2. The train knocks down a clear signal at the east end of Rocky as the sun manages to break through the clouds a bit.

3. With a healthy sum of snow on the ground, the train heads east through the curve east of Rocky, toward Barbara's Gulch.

Kevin Morgan
Arvada, CO
ColoradoRailfan.com

Date: 02/27/15 16:17
Re: Broke the Record!
Author: ColoradoRailfan

4. Lastly, the train kicks up a bit of the white stuff as it passes over Indiana Street and approaches a Diverging Approach (red-over-yellow) signal at West Ledyen.

=======================

That's it for today! Have a good weekend.

Kevin Morgan
Arvada, CO
ColoradoRailfan.com

Date: 02/27/15 16:30
Author: pnger64

The first image is a mind bender! Looks like the tail end cars are larger than the head end. They are further away aren't they?

IOTD material IMHO.

Date: 02/27/15 16:44
Author: Margaret_SP_fan

I, too, really like that first photo a lot,
Not the usual 3/4 wedgie at all. Love it!

Date: 02/27/15 17:12
Author: SP8595

Nice shots Kevin!

Date: 02/27/15 18:15
Author: Ritzville

NICE looking snow shots!!

Larry

Date: 02/27/15 19:24
Author: oklachaser

Great photos.

Ronda Thomas

Date: 02/27/15 20:32
Author: mojaveflyer

Really nice images, Kevin! I really like the shot over Indiana St, a different angle I have not seen presented before.

James Nelson
Thornton, CO
www.flickr.com/mojaveflyer

Date: 02/28/15 04:39
Author: ns1000

Nice pics!!

Date: 02/28/15 07:26
Author: bobdavis

It's amazing that 22.2" of snow would break the Denver record for February, but then again, I've always heard that spring and fall are the snowiest times of the year on that side of the Divide. Out here in far western WY, our grand total of 9.25" for Feb is the LOWEST I've recorded since we moved out here in the summer of 1999.

Bob
Thayne, WY

Date: 02/28/15 15:35
Author: SantaFeRuss

The first picture rocks! It made my background for this week coming up. Thanks for the images.

SantaFeRuss

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0631 seconds