Home Open Account Help 347 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Donner Days 2015

Date: 03/20/15 09:54
Donner Days 2015
Author: fbe

It's my annual trip to CA land and Fri & Sat are the days to spend on Donner Pass

Today I caught UP 4262 E with an intermodal. There is a westbound Z to be over the top around 1015. DS told track workers there was another eastbound by Newcastle about 0930 or so.

Seems to be trackwork on the EB track above Colfax.

So is there anything special I should know for the rest of today and Saturday?

Is there anything to photograph south of the Interstate at the Dutch Flats exit?

Thanks.

I will be out in a light blue CRV with Washington plates. PM me and I will send a cell #.

Posted from Windows Phone OS 7

Date: 03/20/15 10:38
Re: Donner Days 2015
Author: Skygevo

Should See a couple of Manifest this afternoon.Thier is also a monster 153 Car KOASC Container train that should go by Dutch Flat probably around 3-4:00 PM this afternoon.Good Luck

Posted from iPhone

Date: 03/20/15 10:41
Author: Doodle

That stack train seems to get longer and longer. I hope they don't experience problems getting over the hill with such a long train.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 03/20/15 11:01
Author: RyanWilkerson

Looks like there is an eastbound train leaving Roseville now.

Ryan Wilkerson
Fair Oaks, CA

Date: 03/20/15 12:21

Three trains before noon. Z train each direction and a grainless. The grainless was 2+1 with one head end unit dic. Unbelievable how much mid train slack action there was in the curves east of Cape Horn.

Moving east towards the tunnels and a hike.

Date: 03/20/15 18:09
Author: jmf1910

I'm looking forward to reading your reports and seeing your shots! You posted some great images from your last trip up on the Hill.

John

Posted from iPhone

Date: 03/20/15 19:39

Thanks for the compliments about last year. I am bedded down at Colfax and didn't bring the laptop with me. Might get a chance to work on images Sunday or Monday evening.

It was a 10 train day, three in the morning then more beginning around 1530 hrs until the last about 1800 (6:00 p.m.)

The first grainless with the dead unit was interesting. I drove out to the Alta exit after the train left there. I stopped at Emigrant Gap for a sit down burger. When I left I saw the DPU for that grainless. I ran around the train at Yuba Gap and got another set of photos at the Norden sheds where the train met #5. I think every grainless had power issues and it was a mid 60s day.

Date: 03/22/15 09:43
Re: Donner Days 2015, day 2

Saturday was not as productive as Friday. Traffic was down so I only caught 7 trains including #6. Donnerdude showed up to provide guidance and new locations and I appreciated his company.

Date: 03/22/15 22:28
Author: Skygevo

You did very well.Only Caught 5 trains that included two of them being Amtraks Today

Posted from iPhone

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0508 seconds