Home Open Account Help 339 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Railfanning Rochelle, 3/21/15

Date: 03/25/15 20:30
Railfanning Rochelle, 3/21/15
Author: trainmandan

On Saturday, March 21, I went to Rochelle during the afternoon to see some trains. I had previously visited Mendota to try and see the eastbound California Zephyr with its three PVs, but I believe I arrived too late to see it. I was able to get a BNSF train and a shot of the equipment sitting on the spur, then cut my losses and went north towards Rochelle, taking a side trip into Steward to see the town for the first time. I caught a couple trains just north of there, then proceeded my way into town. Here are the highlights of the day. Enjoy!

Photo 1: While I wasn't able to get the Zephyr, BNSF did send an empty coal train through town, seen here about to pass the Amtrak depot/museum.

Photo 2: Here is the equipment sitting on the spur tracks, taken after the coal train cleared.

Date: 03/25/15 20:35
Re: Railfanning Rochelle, 3/21/15

Photo 3: Later, just north of Steward at Elva Rd., a BNSF H1 sandwich proceeds north towards Rochelle with a short Q-train in tow.

Photo 4: As the train proceeds north, it meets an NS-led covered hopper train with an SD70M up front, waiting for track space to clear up in front of him.

Photo 5: With a proceed now displayed, the SD70M revs up and heads out.

Date: 03/25/15 20:38

Photo 6: A closer look at the pair of black horses.

Photo 7: A wider view of the two engines, #s 2618 and 9951.

Photo 8: The two engines have just crossed Elva Rd., and right behind them is an old N&W hopper, one of several varieties in the train.

Date: 03/25/15 20:42

Photo 9: One of the other N&W hoppers.

Photo 10: BNSF 1081 had to stop short of town waiting on UP, which allowed me to get to the Railroad Park ahead of him and shoot him again.

Photo 11: A westbound UP gondola train is next.

Date: 03/25/15 20:46

Photo 12: The pair of engines passes underneath the C&NW signal bridge, which doesn't have a lot of time left. A new concrete base for the new signals has already been poured.

Photo 13: BNSF 6144 leads a Magnetation Ore train west. It was my first time seeing such a train.

Photo 14: As the ore train passes, a westbound UP Z-train pulls up to the park. Notice the white film on the couplers.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/25/15 20:48 by trainmandan.

Date: 03/25/15 20:51

Photo 15: UP 5811 slowly creeps eastbound with a loaded coal train.

Photo 16: This older C&NW hopper was one of two I saw in the train.

Photo 17: Nice, long silvery snake...

Date: 03/25/15 20:56

Photo 18: A westbound Z-train carries this Vermont Railway trailer.

Photo 19: NS 8321 is second out on this eastbound train. I forget what this train was.

Photo 20: An eastbound BNSF intermodal has UP 9477 in the consist.

Date: 03/25/15 20:59

Photo 21: Silhouetted against the harsh evening light is this eastbound stack train departing Global 3.

Photo 22: UP 7261 is in charge of the stack train, about to cross 9th St.

Photo 23: Second out on the train is NS 9760.

Date: 03/25/15 21:03

Photo 24: UP 6546 heads into the sun with a stack train bound for Global 3.

Photo 25: On the tail end of the train is this well car carrying some interesting loads.

Date: 03/25/15 21:09

Photo 26: UP SD70ACe 8635 heads west with a frac sand train.

Photo 27: A UP Z-train roars by the park as the frac sand train continues to proceed west.

Date: 03/25/15 21:16

Photo 28: Dusk has grown heavily upon the park at this point, as the CB&Q signals, which are also on borrowed time, display an approach for a westbound empty oil train. If you look closely, you might make out the sliver of the moon just above and to the right of the approach signal.

Photo 29: The empty oil is led by two NS Gevos. This train had been sitting south of town for some time, and it is unknown what they were sitting there for.

Photo 30: The two Gevos take their train under the signals, soon to run around another westbound train sitting at Flagg Center.

I hope you enjoyed these, and thanks for looking! Feel free to comment!

Date: 03/25/15 22:10
Author: Ritzville

Nice tour, you had a very busy day!!

Larry

Date: 03/26/15 13:31
Author: kingman

Looks like they were running cable yesterday , two big red spools of something here it is today . . Heres a shot just now of UP stopped right on the diamonds. I noticed it happens often, are they breaking up the  the train for the yard down the line  or waiting for a clear track from activity down there. Sometimes its empty ore cars or containers . Sometimes they creep along and stop but  this train waited about 5 minutes or so and then started up and really got speed up before the last car went by. Just curious I would think they must have a way to block time with BNSF so they don't conflict.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/26/15 13:39 by kingman.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0744 seconds