Home Open Account Help 225 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Monongahela on BNSF in Iowa

Date: 04/17/15 14:26
Monongahela on BNSF in Iowa
Author: Agent

If there was a heads-up for this, I missed it.  Happened to look outside when I heard a horn that didn't sound like BNSF to see a train with a Norfolk Southern leader and a gray engine with a red "M" on the side.  Hopped in the truck and stopped at the first halfway-decent spot when I got back in front of it.

1-2) NS 9123 and NS 8025, the Monongahela heritage unit, lead an eastbound loaded oil train through Batavia, Iowa at 1:34 PM.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/17/15 14:28 by Agent.

Date: 04/17/15 14:46
Re: Monongahela on BNSF in Iowa
Author: Agent

3-5) Three more pictures of the power.  Not the best, but I'm glad I didn't left another one get by me entirely.

Apparently the symbol for this train is U-BERNSB0-46T.  From what I know, that means it's a unit train from Berthold, North Dakota to Norfolk Southern at "?"

Date: 04/17/15 15:18
Author: AndyBrown

Nice grab with a cool consist!

Andy

Date: 04/17/15 21:40
Author: trainmandan

Nice job of getting her! In the past, the NSB symbol used to mean that the trains would get routed over the Chillicothe Sub to Streator, where they were interchanged to NS. However, a couple of trains that had special NS units on them, the most recent being the Lackawanna, had NSB symbols that ran up the Mendota Sub into Chicago for interchange, so I'm not exactly sure what the symbol denotes.

Date: 04/18/15 14:56
Author: SantaFe9820

I was in Ottumwa and got her. Saw there was an NS leader and had no idea what was behind it, so this was a nice surprise!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0384 seconds