Home Open Account Help 307 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Is beer still riding the rails?

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

Date: 05/29/15 22:25
Is beer still riding the rails?
Author: loopy7764

Once apon a time you would see those 50' RBLs advertising their commodity (Hamm's, for one) or stashed away at your local distillery or distributor. While often those facilities are long gone, most beer has been lost to trucks... a really unfortunate example being when Inbev bought Anheiser-Busch. Every now and then a startup or expanding shortline announces they're soliciting service for a local brewery (ex. SFBR) or winery. So I ask, who and what's left of this business, and what does the future hold?

Date: 05/29/15 22:30
Re: Is beer still riding the rails?
Author: tinytrains

Not from Bud in Van Nuys CA.  I have been told that UP embargoed thier beer loads during a traffic meltdown, so Bud ripped up the loading tracks and went to trucks. They still get grain by rail.

Scott Schifer
Torrance, CA
TinyTrains Website

Date: 05/29/15 23:47
Author: dan

trend also has been brewing closer to the consumer, less attractive rail moves

Date: 05/30/15 00:54
Author: coach

tinytrains Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Not from Bud in Van Nuys CA.  I have been told
> that UP embargoed thier beer loads during a
> traffic meltdown, so Bud ripped up the loading
> tracks and went to trucks. They still get grain by
> rail.

And now UP has 30% less coal traffic, is furloughing workers, and could use some more trains.  Think how many other shippers have done the same--I know a few myself.

Date: 05/30/15 05:02
Author: Lackawanna484

Budweiser receives a lot of grain etc cars for their brewery in Newark NJ.  They even have a switch named "BUD" to serve them.

Date: 05/30/15 05:35
Author: inCHI

Folks on here have shown that Lagunita's in the West got at least raw ingredients by rail. They recently opened a large brewery in Chicago directly adjacent to both BNSF and UP, but, to my knowledge, without a spur. On a brewery tour I asked about their shipping methods and they indicated (if I recall correctly) that they are transloading rail loads of ingredients to truck within the region, and may use rail more directly in the future. The tour emphasized how much room for expansion they had in the former steel fabricating facility took over, so maybe rail traffic will eventually happen.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/30/15 20:54 by inCHI.

Date: 05/30/15 06:35

inCHI Wrote:
> Folks on here have shown that Lagunita's at east
> got ingredients by raw in CA. They recently opened
> a large brewery in Chicago directly adjacent to
> both BNSF and UP, but, to my knowledge, without a
> spur. On a brewery tour I asked about their
> shipping methods and they indicated (if I recall
> correctly) that they are transloading rail loads
> of ingredients to truck within the region, and may
> use rail more directly in the future. The tour
> emphasized how much room for expansion they had in
> the former steel fabricating facility took over,
> so maybe rail traffic will eventually happen.

Transloading also gives them a better ability to select among rail shippers, etc.

I've noticed an increasing number of (NS) Triple Crown trailers and containers at companies which  used to receive direct rail shipments.  Shaving two or three days off a delivery chain is meaningful to a logistics manager.  Not good for the boxcar or the yard or the local switch crew which used to bring it, though.

Date: 05/30/15 08:19
Author: Out_Of_Service

Lackawanna484 Wrote:
> Budweiser receives a lot of grain etc cars for
> their brewery in Newark NJ.  They even have a
> switch named "BUD" to serve them.
>  

my work buddy was/is a functioning alchoholic ... hmmm now that i think about he's not only one i work with that affiction, anyway he loved his Budweiser but was very choosey as to which of Buds he would drink ... he would look on the cans before he purchased the beer and to see the brew location ... he said the water in Newark made the taste of their beer nasty ... i couldn't tell the difference ...

Budwwiser would stamp the brew location on the cans ... if my buddy saw the Bud was made in Newark he would keep looking to see if he could find a brew location in St Louis, Williamsburg, Columbus, Jacksonville, and locations in NY and Ga were the common Budd brewery locations listed on cans in our area here in the east ...

there's a beer distributor here in northeast Philly that has 17 bay door warehouse ... the whse mainly housed Miller beer but would also vdt other types too ... they would get at least 10 boxcars of beer a day ... i went by there last week and i saw one boxcar at the warehouse that was it and no other boxcars in the nearby stub end yard ... there use to be a warehouse that only got Corona ... they would get 2-4 boxcars of beer a day only because that's the max of cars that could be handled by the inside unloading dock ... the whse was on a siding right next to #4 track on Amtrak's NEC north of Holmesburg Interlocking, burned down and Amtrak took out the siding was referred to as "Prison Siding" ... the siding also went inside Holmesburg Prison at one time but that section was removed ... the Holemsburg interlocking on #4 track was extended just for this siding so no paper work was needed to run against the current of traffic ...

most beer travels these days in 50ft and 60ft insulated (usually red) non company marked boxcars ... Santa Fe now BNSF insulated boxcars handle a lot of beer and wine traffic ...

Posted from Android

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/30/15 08:28 by Out_Of_Service.

Date: 05/30/15 08:30
Author: WAF

Coors moving rail from Golden, CO and Bud from Ft Collins, CO

Date: 05/30/15 08:52
Author: gyralite

Miller at Irwindale, CA ?

Date: 05/30/15 09:17
Author: 6088

I remember in the 90s taking boxcars of beer almost every night out to Dan McKinney on the San Diego & Arizona Eastern El Cajon branch when I was with SDIV.  Most nights it was a single car, but quite often it would be a double spot.  I am pretty sure they don't do it anymore.  The spot was just east of Euclid station by maybe 1/2 mile on the westbound main.

Date: 05/30/15 11:28
Author: goldcoast

Does Pabst Blue Ribbon move by rail?

Date: 05/30/15 11:53
Author: Out_Of_Service

WAF Wrote:
> Coors moving rail from Golden, CO and Bud from Ft
> Collins, CO

coors in Va on the H line gets insulated boxcars i believe to load beer in

Posted from Android

Date: 05/30/15 12:07

Out_Of_Service Wrote:
> WAF Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Coors moving rail from Golden, CO and Bud from
> Ft
> > Collins, CO
>
> coors in Va on the H line gets insulated boxcars i
> believe to load beer in
>
> Posted from Android

I think the original plan was to ship the beer to Virginia and just bottle / can it there.  The whole Rocky Mountain spring water thing.

But I believe they do brew the beer in Virginia and in other places

Date: 05/30/15 12:08
Author: ble692

Biagi Brothers recieves lots of inbound shipments from Mexico (Corona, Tecate, etc.) to their warehouses in at least Auburn, WA, Benicia, CA, and Ontario, CA. Maybe to some of their other locations as well. Everything leaves from their warehouses by truck though I believe.

Date: 05/30/15 12:12
Author: defect_detector

Bud still does in Fairfield, CA.

Date: 05/30/15 12:54
Author: RD10747

BURP!!!...

Date: 05/30/15 15:30
Author: sandmanre

Miller in Irwindale only ships out in trucks.

Ron Evans
Golden Valley, AZ

Date: 05/30/15 18:10
Author: RuleG

goldcoast Wrote:
> Does Pabst Blue Ribbon move by rail?

In 1996, Pabst closed its main plant in Milwaukee.  According to a Wikipedia article, Pabst is contract brewed at six breweries owned by Miller.  I don't know the extent to which any of these breweries use rail service.

Date: 05/30/15 18:23
Author: loopy7764

Did Weinhard's in Portland ship by rail in the later years? I recall they had doors on 12th Av... the rails were still there in 2011.

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0638 seconds