Home Open Account Help 353 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > grinding the Joint Line . . . .

Date: 07/27/15 20:49
grinding the Joint Line . . . .
Author: 3rdswitch

. . .  since the majority of the maintanance agreement changed from UP to BNSF in May on the joint UP BNSF Denver Pueblo Joint Line main BNSF has done a bunch of work including many ten and twelve hour work windows. Tonight happened to notice a Loram rail grinding train coming up the hill out of Monument stopping short of the big curve at Palmer Lake I headed down toward Monument and they had started grinding south toward Monument. Never seeing  a grinding train at night gave it my best shot as it was approaching down town Monument (top and middle) . They stopped grinding short of the crossing in Mon then headed for a spur to clear the main (bottom).
JB

Date: 07/27/15 20:55
Re: grinding the Joint Line . . . .
Author: SCKP187

Those machines make pretty photos at night.
Brian Stevens

Date: 07/27/15 21:50
Author: DynamicBrake

Three ACES JB !  I think that first shot is the best though.  Thanks for sharing a great bunch.

Kent in CArmel Valley

Date: 07/27/15 22:02
Author: railstiesballast

Thanks for the report.
Must not be too dry, there are many places in the West where nobody would even think of grinding rail this summer.

Date: 07/27/15 22:16
Author: 3rdswitch

Thanks, we have had more rain this year than the last five.
JB

Date: 07/27/15 23:31
Author: Odyssey

Wow, some really nice images given the lighting conditions ... and yes even though it's been a "wet" spring-early summer along the front range ... things are drying out.  It doesn't take much to create a wildfire scenario ... especially if down slope winds are involved.  The timing on this "job" appears to be perfect.

Thanks for the post!

Odyssey
Evergreen, CO

Date: 07/28/15 04:58
Author: ns1000

Cool pics!!

Date: 07/28/15 05:07
Author: oklachaser

Really cool shots.

Ronda Thomas

Date: 07/28/15 05:50
Author: Bob3985

Yes, they are a mighty impressive sight. I remember coming westbound on a "Z" train one night and upon rounding the curve at Archer all I saw was sparks. Not knowing who was out there I reached for the brake valve in case it was a train on the ground but as we got closer I could make out the grinders profile. It seemed that they had half the lights illuminating the motors turned off and all I saw was the sparks.  Whew!

Bob Krieger
Cheyenne, WY

Date: 07/28/15 07:17
Author: mojaveflyer

Nice shots, John! It looks like there's lots of new ballast on the ground as well...

James Nelson
Thornton, CO
www.flickr.com/mojaveflyer

Date: 07/28/15 15:44
Author: photobob

That's one impressive train to see in action and I feel you did a good job capturing it.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0435 seconds