Home Open Account Help 274 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Washington & Idaho Railway, Oakesdale to Palouse; Finale

Date: 08/14/15 00:28
Washington & Idaho Railway, Oakesdale to Palouse; Finale
Author: funnelfan

Part 3 of my trip report chasing the Washington and Idaho Railway from Plaza to Palouse last Tuesday. I was expecting a long delay of switching in Oakesdale, one of the prinicpal shipping points on the line. But the train only stopped long enough to drop off an Ammonia tankcar and was on it's way again.

Ted Curphey
Ontario, OR

Date: 08/14/15 00:34
Re: Washington & Idaho Railway, Oakesdale to Palouse; Finale

The grain harvest was in full swing in the Oakesdale-Belmont area. This region of the Palouse benefitted from some late season thunderstorms that provided much needed moisture at a critical moment. That allowed for a longer growing period and much better yields than elsewhere in eastern Washington. Combines were roaming the hills and grain trucks were cycling between the fields and the elevators. The McCoy shuttle terminal was particularly busy.

Ted Curphey
Ontario, OR

Date: 08/14/15 00:37

Leaving Belmont the southbound train tackled one of the worst grades on it's route. Sure made for a terrific sight struggling toward the crest.

Ted Curphey
Ontario, OR

Date: 08/14/15 00:41

South of Belmont, the tracks become particularly challenging with many grades and sharp curves, but by this point in the day the sun had swung around far to the west making photography increasingly difficult. The state highway stays on the east side of the tracks, and access to the other side of the tracks gets scarce.

Ted Curphey
Ontario, OR

Date: 08/14/15 00:53

I'll finish up with a photo I've long wanted, of a train on the turntable-turned-bridge over the Palouse River north of Palouse, WA. And finally, the sunset at the end of a hot wonderful day in the Palouse Hills in eastern Washington.

Ted Curphey
Ontario, OR

Date: 08/14/15 04:19
Author: lotharb

Beautiful series there Ted. Eastern WA and OR have so many treasures and you sure captured much of the WA portion. I am envious of the your opportunity to chase that GP 30 around for so much nice scenery.
Keep 'em coming.
Lothar
Corinth, TX

Date: 08/14/15 05:38
Author: 3rdswitch

Great chase and results. Where are all those LPG tanks going? Storage?
JB

Date: 08/14/15 05:54
Author: ns1000

GREAT pics!! Thanks for sharing.

Date: 08/14/15 08:51
Author: fbe

Great work in the oppressive heat. Dodging the grain trucks on a two lane road always adds to the stress level they are as piggish about the roads as logging trucks.

I am not sure the bridge is a repurposed turntable. Latise beam turntables are not common and usually there is a reinforcing plate in the center of the truss where the pivot assembly is attached. You might be able to do an onsite inspection next time you are there.

Thanks for posting.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 08/14/15 09:23
Author: callum_out

Great shots, love shortlines and that one is definitely worthwhile.

Out

Date: 08/14/15 09:29
Author: oklachaser

Really great photos.

Ronda Thomas

Date: 08/14/15 12:03
Author: Ritzville

Thanks Ted for your Final installment of a great chase with so many interesting locations. You had a very productive day!

Larry

Date: 08/15/15 19:06
Author: stlrailfan

Ted,
 killer set of photos.
             Mark Mautner

Date: 08/17/15 22:33
Author: Orient

Nice photos! You can almost hear the clickity clack of the jointed rails! =)

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0483 seconds