Home Open Account Help 356 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Donner Pass?

Date: 08/30/15 18:07
Donner Pass?
Author: Vernthecat

I know this is a tired topic, I just can't really look up old threads at the moment. Is there a good, scenic spot near the tracks off of I-80 about 5-15 minutes max from the exit? Somewhere the wife wouldn't mind hanging out at for an hour or so because it's nice? Thanks very much and hey, at least I didn't ask about UP 4141 or the Tennessee Pass. I kid. I kid.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 08/30/15 19:09
Re: Donner Pass?
Author: Cajon92

There are plenty of places just off Interstate 80 were you can get a nice view trackside. Colfax (you can go east of town towards Long Ravine and get a good view of the double bridges across 80), Gold Run, Alta, Dutch Flat, Emigrant Gap, Yuba Pass, Soda Springs, Truckee, 'Glenshire', Union Mills horseshoe curve, Floriston, and Verdi are easy to access spots just off the top of my head (I'm probably leaving out some other easy to access locations). Truckee would actually be a good choice if you have your wife along. There are several shops in old town Truckee that are worth walking through and of course there are also several great places to eat.

~Ryan

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/30/15 19:16 by Cajon92.

Date: 08/30/15 19:30
Author: Doodle

I second the truckee nomination. My wife hangs out/ shops for a few hours while I watch/chase trains.

If that's not an option, and you have access to a car with 4 wheel drive or high ground clearance, I was just up Saturday at American, on casa loma road. Take the Alta exit from I 80. Fantastic view of the American River Canyon.

Posted from iPhone

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/30/15 19:32 by Doodle.

Date: 08/30/15 19:55
Author: DynamicBrake

Speaking of Alta, what was the outcome of the fire about 3 weeks ago (Buckaroo Fire I believe) that threatened Alta?  How close did it get?   Thanks for any info.

Kent in CArmel Valley

Date: 08/30/15 20:46
Author: FiveChime

The Lowell Hill fire was burning on the north side of the Bear River. It never crossed the river. If had crossed, it could of burned up toward Alta.

Regards, Jim Evans

Date: 08/31/15 06:30
Author: ATSF5964

Just be careful about being on the property- the ROW is being patrolled, as far as the summit.

Date: 08/31/15 07:50
Author: Auburnrail

As a practical note...if you get a bit off the road, watch for encampments of folks "off the grid" .... ( probably not voluntarily!)
Too many for the sheriff to bother with, but not a happy situation to run into the motor less motor homes, the loose dogs and just a tad too many immobile cars and trash parked around.
I run into this a lot above Colfax and Alta. Stay aware.

And I've said before... Enjoy the environment and history...cause the trains are few and far between!
And oh yeah, Truckee should be home base. Even the station and just to the west of it would work for you.

George Andrassy

Posted from iPhone

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/31/15 07:54 by Auburnrail.

Date: 08/31/15 09:09
Author: Vernthecat

Thanks very much to all. Great info

Posted from iPhone

Date: 08/31/15 09:54
Author: Stottman

Shed 10 and its bridge are right off I-80, exit 164. Its a quick walk under the bridge and to hills around it which are national forest. 

Date: 08/31/15 10:54
Author: TCnR

Another vote for Casa Loma, a very obscure location on the RR but a very interesting and historical photo location. It was paved to the road crossing but the photo/parking locations are not flat, very rutted. Could be 'motorless motorhome' country though (like that phrase), nice properties behind the fence but not so obvious.

Also agree with Truckee and Colfax for places to find a lunch or window shoppng within eyeball distance of the tracks. You would think Newcastle and Auburn would be, but locations are not so easy to find, too much traffic as well.

Doodle Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I second the truckee nomination. My wife hangs
> out/ shops for a few hours while I watch/chase
> trains.
>
> If that's not an option, and you have access to a
> car with 4 wheel drive or high ground clearance, I
> was just up Saturday at American, on casa loma
> road. Take the Alta exit from I 80. Fantastic view
> of the American River Canyon.
>
> Posted from iPhone

Date: 08/31/15 14:39
Author: ShastaDaylight

Donner has plenty of scenic areas to park and enjoy nature while waiting for the next train. Truckee is also lots of fun, though food there is a bit pricey. Right across the main street from the combination SP/Amtrak Depot and Visitors Center is Bud's Sporting Goods, which is actually a fine, old-style ice cream parlor. A few doors east of Bud's is a great cooking store that both my wife and I enjoy spending time in...

Have a great trip and stay safe...

ShastaDaylight

Date: 09/01/15 08:51
Author: cchan006

TCnR Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Another vote for Casa Loma, a very obscure
> location on the RR but a very interesting and
> historical photo location. It was paved to the
> road crossing but the photo/parking locations are
> not flat, very rutted. Could be 'motorless
> motorhome' country though (like that phrase), nice
> properties behind the fence but not so obvious.
>
> Also agree with Truckee and Colfax for places to
> find a lunch or window shoppng within eyeball
> distance of the tracks. You would think Newcastle
> and Auburn would be, but locations are not so easy
> to find, too much traffic as well.
>

Yeah, Colfax and Truckee are great places to watch trains for those who are Donner newbies. If just watching becomes boring, there are places nearby to explore, the Long Ravine (near Colfax) and Glenshire (near Truckee) mentioned by Cajon92 to add a little "wow" to train watching. Those towns can be used as "home base" if you have a map with railroad tracks included handy.

Since Donner hazards were mentioned above, I'll mention a few. I ran into shooters near Casa Loma one time. They were shooting rifles on a ledge below the railroad tracks, oh, several hundred yards away? They saw me, so one of the guys rode his ATV to check me out. I suspect he was afraid I might call them in, but I told him the gun fire didn't bother me because they weren't aimed at me (chuckle). So I kept on watching trains, and they kept on shooting.

Black bears are docile animals, and they'll be wandering about, especially near water, so keep an eye for them and give them personal space. There have been several bear sightings by railfans near Casa Loma.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0682 seconds