Home Open Account Help 388 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > My Dad's and I railfan outing, Day three-Part #2

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

Date: 10/08/15 09:09
My Dad's and I railfan outing, Day three-Part #2
Author: SP8595

Continuing where we left off with Part #1, we were still following the KCS heading North into Neosho and then the plan was to head East to Monett to try and find the Arkansas & Missouri.

1)At McElhany which is just South of Neosho, we found a KCS Southbound loaded Grain train with a pair of Belle SD70MAC's, the 3959 and 3944 tied down in the siding and over on a house track was a ballast train that was also tied down with grey SD60's 7019 and 7008.

It was now time to leave the KCS and head to Monett. As we neared Monett, we could hear a crew switching on the A&M radio channel, Perfect! However when they rattled off the switching moves that needed to be done, it sounded like it was going to take awhile:{

Fortunately the crew mentioned that they had to be finished around 5 PM, even if they had to leave some cars behind in order to make it back to Springdale and the Engineer had an idea of what needed to be done as the Conductor seemed to struggle a bit. At one point he wasn't able to figure out why he had cars that were missing and then he stated that he forgot to flip his switch list over!

Anyway, it was closer to a little after 5:30 when they finally left Monett and with the shadows growing long, we weren't sure how well we were going to do with the train so we just planned on getting it at every location that we could!

2)Just leaving Monett South of the wye, the A&M SD70ACe's 72 and 70 were both in pretty good shape!

3)After the Conductor walked/jogged to the head end, the train is finally on the move passing more bag worms.

----------------------------------Next 7 pictures posted will be of the A&M chase---------------------------------

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/08/15 09:20 by SP8595.

Date: 10/08/15 09:09
Re: My Dad's and I railfan outing, Day three-Part #2

4)South of Monett

5)Approaching Purdy

6)At Purdy

--------------------------------4 More Pictures Posted Below--------------------------------

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/08/15 09:12 by SP8595.

Date: 10/08/15 09:10

7)At Butterfield, the train had to do a setout and here the train is pulling past the Conductor who will make the cut behind 13 loaded Grain cars.

8)Shoving the Grain hoppers into the Grain facilities lead.

9)Now back on the train with the hoppers setout.

---------------------One More Picture Posted-----------------------------

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/08/15 09:15 by SP8595.

Date: 10/08/15 09:10

10)And one more shot with my Dad looking on:}

The Engineer was bound and determined to get back to Springdale in his hours of service as we clocked him doing 49 MPH further down the road, I had no idea they went so fast on this line!
So this ended up being the last location that we shot it at but we both felt pretty fortunate that the timing worked out just right for us to get these pictures:}

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/08/15 09:19 by SP8595.

Date: 10/08/15 09:24
Author: 3rdswitch

More excellent ones!
JB

Date: 10/08/15 09:42
Author: texchief1

Nice shots, John!

Randy Lundgren

Date: 10/08/15 09:50
Author: MyTeggyPC

Great Shots, thanks again for sharing!

Jeffrey Rossi
Mesa, AZ
HD Videos - AZ RailFan Site(No Ads)

Date: 10/08/15 09:56
Author: Valleyman

John

Great shots! Glad you had the opportunity to spend time with dad, doing what you both enjoy.

Valleyman

Date: 10/08/15 09:56
Author: Cajon92

Great series. You sure caught those A&M ACes in some sweet light! They look pretty sharp in that paint scheme. 

Looks like you and your Dad had another fun day :) Thanks for sharing,
~Ryan

Date: 10/08/15 10:19
Author: TheNavigator

Excellent, John!  Nice to see a shortline that hasn't been consumed by G&W.

Gary

Date: 10/08/15 10:43
Author: santafe199

Nice stuff you have there, my friend. I've had the pleasure of following, by proxy, the exploits of you & your father, along with my 3 good 'Okie & honorary KS Gang' friends. It looks like quite an outing, enough to make me a teeny bit jealous. But I was otherwise occupied, being forced to burn night time pixels on boiling water & hot oil type locomotion in Abilene. (It was rough, I tell ya... ;^) Maybe one of these days we can give you the nickel tour of the Flint Hills in return for your showing me around Rocky. Be sure to bring your father. I'd be honored to meet him some day...

Lance/199

Date: 10/08/15 11:46
Author: PALuvR

Classy shots! Really like that A&M paint.

Mike

Date: 10/08/15 11:49
Author: oklachaser

Outstanding series of photos.

Ronda Thomas

Date: 10/08/15 12:32
Author: SCKP187

Another sweet batch of finds along the way. You and your Dad certainly did explore well.
Brian Stevens

Date: 10/08/15 13:03
Author: ns1000

GOOD stuff....!!  Thanks......

Date: 10/08/15 16:29
Author: GRNDMND

Nice continuing series from your travels and I recognize that lurking photographer in the last shot.

KC

Date: 10/08/15 18:12
Author: upkpfan

John,
Good stuff. upkpfan

Date: 10/08/15 18:24
Author: BNSF-6432

ACes or not, those units look beautiful in that low light. Enjoyed your results so far. Keep em comin'!

PQM

Date: 10/08/15 18:30
Author: sp1827ml

Another great bunch from the midwest!! Thanks for sharing!!

Mark
Reno,NV

Date: 10/08/15 20:32
Author: GP30Frank

Didn't A&M have 3 ACe's ?   I remember a wreck in the past, but did  ( # 71, I presume ) not survive ??

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0742 seconds