Home Open Account Help 324 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > A couple UP detours on the Transcon.

Date: 02/09/16 06:25
A couple UP detours on the Transcon.
Author: alco636

I got lucky, and caught a couple UP detours in Northern Arizona.

#1 Driving into Flagstaff on Thursday January 28th. Tried my luck at getting it downtown. An eastbound BNSF rolled by, giving me an opportunity for a couple side by side shots.

#2 I tried to shoot with the lead cab in sun, didn't happen. Fun to catch the UP on the Transcon.

#3 One Saturday the 30th, I chased the BNSF office car special to Maine. As luck had it, another UP detour followed shortly after the BNSF OCS rolled by.

Date: 02/09/16 06:27
Re: A couple UP detours on the Transcon.
Author: alco636

#4 I was hoping to catch the San Francisco Peaks along with the train. It's strange to see UP trains on the Transcon. Got to meet a couple other fans here. I hope your shots turned out better than mine!

Al Seever
Phoenix, AZ

Date: 02/09/16 09:24
Author: Railfan4Christ

Great catches, Al. Do these detours run on certain days of the week?

Tom

Date: 02/09/16 10:32
Author: goneon66

i see at LEAST 1 u.p. w/b and 1 u.p. e/b detours during the day here on the seligman sub.........

Date: 02/09/16 12:49
Author: jofegan

That's ATS territory out that way - any restrictions on leading locomotives that don't have ATS installed?

-j

Date: 02/09/16 13:53
Author: RollinB

Only Amtrak locomotives (90 mph speed) use ATS out here.  BNSF locomotives are equipped with PTC but not ATS.

Date: 02/09/16 14:14
Author: bmarti7

Lot's of yellow on the Transon from Hutchinson, Ks (tecnically not Tanscon until Emporia) to Chicago

Date: 02/09/16 20:05
Author: coach

Those UP units are saying "Omigosh--we've never gone this fast before, for so many miles!"  BNSF hustles.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0386 seconds