Home Open Account Help 238 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Sherman Hill?s

Date: 03/29/01 13:27
Sherman Hill?s
Author: muffhead

Me and a friend of mine were trying to figure out a few things about the Sherman Hill area, so here goes a few questions. Was the alignment that has the #1 and #2 mains that go through the Hermosa Tunnels built before or after the #3 track which goes to the south? Which alignment has tougher grades, and what are the grade % for all three tracks? Lastly, how is traffic typically routed over this area? Is there any directional running patterns? Thanks

Date: 03/29/01 14:39
RE: Sherman Hill?s
Author: MAB

Tracks 1 & 2 through the Hermosa tunnels are the older lines. Basically they are near the original 1868 right of way at this point, but there was a line change in 1901 which put the alignment on its current location at Hermosa. Second main was added here in 1917.

The #3 track via Harriman was built in 1952-53 as a "low" grade option to the steeper original alignment. It is a fair bit longer and is used mainly for westbounds.

Tracks 1 & 2 via Sherman have a maximum grade westbound of about 1.55%. At Hermosa a westbound train is actually descending at that point. Track 3 via Harriman is nearly constant at 0.82% compensated.

Between Hermosa and Laramie are also two routes, the original via Red Buttes and the 1901 cutoff via Colores. The original route has grades up to 1.9+%, while the 1901 line also has 0.82% compensated grades. This line is now considered tracks 1 & 2, with the second main being added in the mid-1970's. The original main here is now considered #3.

By using a combination of the Harriman line (#3 track) for westbounds and the Colores line for eastbounds (#1 & 2 tracks), either direction is a max of 0.82% grade for Sherman Hill. While the steeper sections exist, they can be used for downhill trains or for short, fast overpowered trains.

Date: 03/29/01 21:53
Author: dirtybird

MAB hit the nail on the head, everything is right on. In my days in Laramie, I have seen two trains take #3 EB out of Laramie, one was the ZOACS...actually probably the ZOAG1 maybe at that time, or could have still been the OACSZ, I would have to back track my records. The other was the EB Pioneer one day. I was sitting at east Laramie, saw #26 I think it was pull to the depot on #1, and he promptly went from #1 to #3 at east Laramie, unfortunately, I did not chase him. I think I have heard one or two other EB's take #3 on the scanner every once and awhile while in Laramie, but it is not too frequent, you would have to have a decent WB lull and a high HP/ton train to do it. I cannot remember the last time there was a derailment on #1 and #2 between Hermosa and Laramie, but that would be about the only time. In that case, it would be possible to have helpers at Laramie and shove some EB's up #3 ( in fact, this has happened in the past five years if I remember right, no dates however).

I have never seen an EB down #3 from Dale Junction to Speer into Cheyenne, but I know in either 96 or 97, a derailment near Buford on #1 and #2 had a few EB's running down #3 to Cheyenne.

I have seen WB's going up #1 and #2 west of Cheyenne, an approx 1.2% to 1.55% climb. It is almost always just intermodals with enough HP/ton, but work windows on #3 have necessitated helpers on WB manifests and higher tonnage trains out of Cheyenne in the past.

---------------------------------------
R. Cody Erben
erben22@rmci.net

Date: 03/30/01 06:14
Author: FoxPub

While shooting photos for my UP Cheyenne West Book, one Z train ran e/b down the #3 track from Dale Jct to Speer. No reason, no MOW, just dispatcher whim.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0471 seconds