Home Open Account Help 348 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > SLRG SD90s on the MNYNP

Date: 03/16/16 10:40
SLRG SD90s on the MNYNP
Author: ColoradoRailfan

Hello-

Yesterday's MNYNP (UP's Manifest, North Yard, CO to North Platte, NE) had a trio of SD9043MACs that were DIC. All three units have been leased to the San Luis and Rio Grande for the past six years or so. Their lease has expired and they are being returned to CIT.

I last saw SLRG 116 in December 2009 when it was freshly painted and in Denver for the Ski Train reboot. You may recall that the SLRG was going to run a new Ski Train in the 2009-2010 winter season. Tickets had been sold, passenger cars were at Union Station, and a pair of SD9043MACs were going to be used as power. But things fell apart and the train never ran.

====================

1. The MNYNP rolls slowly through the OS at CP DS900 (Broadway) on the Belt Industrial Lead which connects North Yard and the Greeley Subdivision.

2. SLRG 116

3. SLRG 111 (wearing an Iowa Pacific scheme...the holding company for the SLRG)

Kevin Morgan
Arvada, CO
ColoradoRailfan.com

Date: 03/16/16 10:40
Re: SLRG SD90s on the MNYNP
Author: ColoradoRailfan

4. SLRG 108

5. SLRG 116 when it was bright and shiny on December 19, 2009, just a few days before what would have been the start of the new Ski Train.

===========================

I would have liked to have chased the train a little ways north on the Greeley Sub, but the train got held up at Belt Line Jct (CP W004). That particular junction is not accessible by [public] road, and after 30 minutes of waiting (and no sign of him getting a light), I headed for home.

Kevin Morgan
Arvada, CO
ColoradoRailfan.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/16/16 10:43 by ColoradoRailfan.

Date: 03/16/16 12:51
Author: ts2100

The SLRG has/had another SD90, identical to 116, I believe it is 115. Is it still on the SLRG roster?

Todd Skaggs
Dodge City, KS

Date: 03/16/16 14:51
Author: OregonOldGuy

ts2100 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The SLRG has/had another SD90, identical to 116, I
> believe it is 115. Is it still on the SLRG
> roster?
>
> Todd Skaggs
> Dodge City, KS

That is her with the 116 in the last photo.  Sure was a shame that trip didn't happen.  

Rob

Date: 03/16/16 17:01
Author: NS145

Are there any updates?

Posted from Android

Date: 03/16/16 17:57
Author: pismopete

Just those three being returned?
Do you know how many SD90s are being kept?

Peter Arnold

Date: 03/16/16 18:40
Author: callum_out

Where did the three off the Texas and New Mexico end up?

Out

Date: 03/16/16 21:38
Author: NS_8101_Kyle

NS145 Wrote:
> Are there any updates?
>
> Posted from Android

Last heard they were heading for Chicago currently, I forgot what the symbol was. Rumor has it that they're headed for INRD

Date: 03/17/16 02:54
Author: pvarlien

Number 111 had TNMR reporting marks when it first showed up in Iowa Pacific paint. You can see on the photo where it more recently has been patched to SLRG reporting marks.
108 may also be one of the former Texas New Mexico units. I noticed on the photo here that it appears to have recently been patched with SLRG reporting marks.

Peter

Peter Varlien
Heimdal,

Date: 03/17/16 04:25
Author: junctiontower

NS_8101_Kyle Wrote:
> NS145 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Are there any updates?
> >
> > Posted from Android
>
>
> Last heard they were heading for Chicago
> currently, I forgot what the symbol was. Rumor has
> it that they're headed for INRD

Supposedly INRD has a deal with CIT to service and or store the CIT SD90 fleet as needed.  INRD just canceled the lease or four of their own due to the loss of IPL coal traffic, but it appears those will also stay stored on the railroad until they or someone else needs them.. IF Norfolk Southern's SD70ACU program is a big success, I wouldn't be shocked to see all these unleased 90's becoming part of that program. 

Date: 03/17/16 06:41
Author: NS145

Anyone know any current updates or the current train symbol?

Posted from Android

Date: 03/19/16 14:07
Author: Walter1

It's disappointing to see this giants leave as I have enjoyed them lumbering up and down La Veta pass and running the locals throughout the San Luis valley for the last several years. Assuming the 115 is history this would leave only the 1100 in the maroon and gold colors or maybe an F40? Last time I was in Alamosa it appeared the B39's were being shipped out as well leaving the yard dominated by the ex NJ units in their original paint. Yuck

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0532 seconds