Home Open Account Help 348 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Breaking in a new microphone on the Union Pacific

Date: 05/02/16 14:47
Breaking in a new microphone on the Union Pacific
Author: MaryMcPherson

We had a "death" in the family, when a camera microphone gave up the ghost as we were filming the doubleheader of Southern Railway 4501 and 630 last fall.  With this weekend's shooting of N&W 611 coming up, it was time to take care of replacing the late sound gear.

Here are a few shots over the last several days, taken on the Union Pacific's Chester Subdivision.

The first shot is a southbound stack train shot on April 29th.

The second shot is a southbound freight passing CP Potts, a double crossover just north of Reynoldsville.  This was shot May 1st.

The last three trains were shot this morning.  The first is rounding the curve at LaRue, with the following two at a location called Simbco.  The name is short for the Southern Illinois and Missouri Bridge Company, which constructed the Mississippi River bridge at Thebes.  Simbco is another double crossover.

I'm happy with the new microphone, which seems to have much better low-end response than the one it replaced.

Mary McPherson
Dongola, IL
Diverging Clear Productions

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 05/02/16 16:05
Re: Breaking in a new microphone on the Union Pacific
Author: DaveL

Hi Mary,
That new mike sounds just about perfect and with no horn distortion !!
However, I do hope that your original video is lots sharper than what good'ol TO lets us see.

DaveL

Date: 05/02/16 16:24
Author: CT97

Train Number 2 I could feel the Rumble of the approach in my Chair,,I`d say it works great

CT97

Date: 05/02/16 17:08
Author: MaryMcPherson

DaveL Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hi Mary,
> That new mike sounds just about perfect and with
> no horn distortion !!
> However, I do hope that your original video is
> lots sharper than what good'ol TO lets us see.
>
> DaveL

Yup.  Original is HD.

Also been working with a new stereo Mike for the audio rig.  I've intentionally been beating the tar out of it, and I will say that the Audio-Technica AT-8022 has handled everything I can throw at it.  I'll post an example in a few days.

Mary McPherson
Dongola, IL
Diverging Clear Productions

Date: 05/02/16 20:53
Author: FiveChime

Very nice, however you need to put it to the real test - K5LL  horns on new SD70AH units. Beautiful in a distance but loud, very loud up close.

Regards, Jim Evans, Five Chime Consultants

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0438 seconds