Home Open Account Help 331 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Why is this track this way?

Date: 06/10/16 20:39
Why is this track this way?
Author: tomstp

Just west of Lordsburg, N.M. is this loop of track.  I believe it comes off the other railroad (not UP).  Can anyhone tell me why it was built in a shape of loops with some double track in it?

Date: 06/10/16 21:09
Re: Why is this track this way?
Author: RustyRayls

Looks like, at one time it might have been a transfer facility for copper concentrate. I see one acid tank truck and a lot of acid RR cars. The acid is used to leach the copper out of the copper ore. There are also what looks like hoppers that might have been used to haul concentrate This ex-SP line services mines in Morencie and Globe / Miami in Arizona.

Old Bob out in Lost Wages

Date: 06/10/16 21:15
Author: 3rdswitch

Interesting track layout for sure, makes no sense to me. Tracks are not far from I-10 around Lordsburg, wonder why I never noticed this?
​JB

Date: 06/10/16 21:28
Author: EricSP

A model railroader must have designed it.

Date: 06/10/16 22:52
Author: tinytrains

Just looked at it on Google Maps.It appears to have been built as an unit train loading or unloading facility, but has since been abandoned. They do seem to be unloading tank cars to trucks, but that facility is way overkill for that. They seem to be storing a lot of extra cars there now.
That is my guess.

Scott Schifer
Torrance, CA
TinyTrains Website

Date: 06/10/16 22:58
Author: pdt

Yes, its on the Arizona Eastern Lordsburg-cliftn line. Just outside out Lordsburg.   Prob a loadout at one time  Lots of box cars, tank cars, empty hoppers.
train on the main with 4 GE's making a pickup or setout on the loop track. Some loaded hoppers on the loop....it may be used as an interchange track with the UP too.
It's just west of a small yard in lordsburg, which is the UP interchange.

Date: 06/10/16 23:04
Author: lloydnet

There's an Aggregate Mine just south of there. A lot of Ballast was stockpiled there as well as just east of there for use by UP on the Sunset Route Project.

Date: 06/11/16 08:06
Author: mococomike

It was a ballast loading facility from the mine. Currently used for car storage.

Date: 06/11/16 10:17
Author: 2839Canadian

Looks like crop circles

Date: 06/11/16 10:31
Author: callum_out

The question of why you don't notice it, it's about level with the West end of Lordsburg, you can see cars sitting out there
but it just looks like storage for the interchange track. You don't see the rest of the "Xmas Tree" layout.

Out

Date: 06/11/16 19:05
Author: camelot7unplugged

This is a Google Earth view of the old Carbon Coal load out just west of Gallup NM

Date: 06/11/16 19:10
Author: camelot7unplugged

There's a good chance the loop just west of Lordsburg is being used for storage of idle RR cars. 

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0485 seconds