Home Open Account Help 299 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > BNSF's Lake Pend Orielle Bridge Out of Service

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

Date: 07/29/16 05:07
BNSF's Lake Pend Orielle Bridge Out of Service
Author: funnelfan

For undisclosed reasons BNSF shut down the single track long bridge over Lake Pend Orielle yesterday afternoon. This the long bridge outside of Sandpoint, ID. Freight trains are being held on either side of the bridge, but Amtrak #8 and #7 detoured over UP's ex-Spokane International (Napa St Jct - Boyer). Both trains likely met at Clagstone and then returned to the BNSF at about the same time (4:45am). Estimated reopening at 6am, but we will see.
BNSF has repeatedly shelved plans for a much needed second bridge, including one effort in 2015. In the last decade they have attempted rebuilding the existing bridge during long work windows, but that effort also has a long way to go. It's unclear if the current issue is related to the aging and deterioration of the structure, but it's certainly a possibility.

Ted Curphey
Ontario, OR

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/29/16 05:12 by funnelfan.

Date: 07/29/16 06:29
Re: BNSF's Lake Pend Orielle Bridge Out of Service
Author: calbodfish

Thanks Ted. That helps explain the lack of traffic on 4th Sub since about 19:00 yesterday. There is a bare table well train in Colby and an empty grain at Noxon at the very least. Heard Dispatcher telling the crew of the grain about its combined dig catch pickup with the intermodal train. Hope they get things lined up. Huge Achilles Heal for the northern corridor. If all else fails, night gas chase tonight.

Rich
Thompson Falls, MT

Posted from iPhone

Date: 07/29/16 06:43
Author: WJEX

That explains the unusual sounding horn during the nite on the UP Spokane sub MP29,7

Date: 07/29/16 07:09
Author: czuleget

How deep is the lake, if a new bridge is constructed. I was just wondering how hard it would be to build and the time frame.  
​Thanks for the quick replys I live in So Cal and have only been in the area once years ago.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/29/16 08:16 by czuleget.

Date: 07/29/16 07:22
Author: BAB

depends on where it crosses the highway bridge area shows around 20ft but max depth is over 1000ft in places. Google it and figure out where the RR bridge is.
-------------------------------------------------------
> How deep is the lake, if a new bridge is
> constructed.  Just wondering how hard it would
> be to build and the time frame.  

Date: 07/29/16 07:50
Author: monaddave

It's resonably shallow where they cross on top of what is a gravel/ sand bar. The big issue is they have to go down quite a ways to get to bed rock. 

They were piledriving very long pieces of steel the last time they worked on it.
Dave in Msla

Date: 07/29/16 08:00
Author: jbbane

I wonder if management ever regrets pulling out the old GN mainline S. of Newport? 

Date: 07/29/16 08:02
Author: F40PHR231

The lake is pretty shallow (ranging 5-50 feet to the sandy/muddy top part) at where the railroad crosses. It doesn't begin dropping off until out past Sunnyside 5 miles to the east, and it's another 8 miles past that before it starts getting down to the 1000' depth.

Date: 07/29/16 08:21
Author: BAB

Thanks for adding where the RR crosses as didnt find it on the map I googled just showes the highway crossing.
> The lake is pretty shallow (ranging 5-50 feet to
> the sandy/muddy top part) at where the railroad
> crosses. It doesn't begin dropping off until out
> past Sunnyside 5 miles to the east, and it's
> another 8 miles past that before it starts getting
> down to the 1000' depth.

Date: 07/29/16 08:28
Author: parsonplus

If the old GN south of Newport is no more, what is the routing of the Empire Builder between Sandpoint and Spokane?

Date: 07/29/16 08:28
Author: monaddave

As of 0755, they let a train cross at 10 MPH.
Dave

Date: 07/29/16 08:31
Author: Ritzville

Thanks Ted, now I know why there is no trains running thru the backyard.

Larry

Date: 07/29/16 08:39
Author: czephyr17

parsonplus Wrote:
>  If the old GN south of Newport is no more, what
> is the routing of the Empire Builder between
> Sandpoint and Spokane?

The Empire Builder uses the former NP route.  Has been there since Amtrak took over in 1971.  The GN tracks (as well as UP tracks) in downtown Spokane were all removed for Expo '74.  What remains of the GN main line north of Spokane provides access to the Kettle Falls lines, but come into the BNSF yards in Spokane from the west end, so any through movements would required trains to reverse direction in Spokane even if the line were still in place to Sandpoint.

Date: 07/29/16 09:02
Author: TCnR

What are the chances of running down the UP/SI into Spokane?

I know they changed the configuration around in downtown Sandpoint but I've never went back to figure it out.

+ other posts are showing Amtrak running on the UP/SI route, is there a back-up move that makes this easy for Amtrak but more challenging for a BNSF sized freight?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/29/16 09:13 by TCnR.

Date: 07/29/16 10:12
Author: terrybaker

TCnR Wrote:
> What are the chances of running down the UP/SI
> into Spokane?
>
> I know they changed the configuration around in
> downtown Sandpoint but I've never went back to
> figure it out.
>
> + other posts are showing Amtrak running on the
> UP/SI route, is there a back-up move that makes
> this easy for Amtrak but more challenging for a
> BNSF sized freight?
=============================================
No back-up moves required for Amtrak or freights operating via current BNSF (ex-GN east of Sandpoint) trackage; "more challenging" applies to trains to/from MRL (ex-NP) east of Sandpoint. 

Date: 07/29/16 10:42
Author: 70ACE

Yesterday a boater on the lake passing by a section of the causeway over Lake Penderray noticed something amiss with support structure underneath. It was reported to the RR and a track Inspector took a look to find a major crossbeam uinderneath the track that was at least 2.5 in out of place.  He immediately suspended all rail traffic over the bridge until repairs could be made.  Two hot Z trains plus other east/west traffic was held up until this morning, and both Amtrak 7 and 8 were detoured over UP's former SI line.  

Traffic has resumed but under slow orders.

Date: 07/29/16 15:14
Author: Pacific5th

TCnR Wrote:
> What are the chances of running down the UP/SI
> into Spokane?
>
> I know they changed the configuration around in
> downtown Sandpoint but I've never went back to
> figure it out.
>
> + other posts are showing Amtrak running on the
> UP/SI route, is there a back-up move that makes
> this easy for Amtrak but more challenging for a
> BNSF sized freight?

To get to the Sandpoint station Amtrak would need to make some reverse moves. The UP line through Sandpoint has connections to the ex-GN through the Sandpoint yard. From there Amtrak would need to back up a mile and a half to get to the depot on the ex-NP. If Amtrak took the UP line all the way to the connection with the old NP line they would still need to back up a half mile or so to reach the depot. Both east and west Amtraks would need to make these moves. If BNSF detoured on the UP from the ex-GN it would be straight through Sandpoint yard. I am not sure exactly how the UP/MRL connection is set up but I think  MRL/BNSF freights would need to back up to get on to it to go west.

Date: 07/29/16 17:44
Author: funnelfan

They likely had a taxi move the passenger from the NP depot to the GN depot for the train and then haul the unloading passenger back if there were any.

Ted Curphey
Ontario, OR

Date: 07/29/16 22:45
Author: coach

All these old RR bridges are really starting to show their age after continuous, heavy use, 24-7, decades on end, with heavier trains every year.

Date: 07/29/16 22:53
Author: CA_Sou_MA_Agent

They should have never ripped up the GN line from Newport to Dean . . .

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0598 seconds