Home Open Account Help 304 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > East of Sparks, Nevada

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

Date: 08/29/16 19:44
East of Sparks, Nevada
Author: ATSF5964

Since moving to Nevada four years ago, I've gained a fascination for the former SP route eastward from Sparks. While of course nowhere near as scenic as the nearby Roseville Subdivision, the Nevada Sub. actually sees a bit more traffic on account of the several local jobs based in Sparks. With the line following the Truckee River eastward through the wide-open spaces (sadly diminishing with industrial development) comes year-round access, and a long list of new places to explore. Another nice feature is the morning parade of eastbound trains, which usually left Roseville the night before, and cleared Truckee before sunrise. The only fly in the ointment is the proximity of the freeway and the noise of heavy truck traffic, but perhaps more specialized microphones will eventually open up even more areas for video coverage.

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 08/29/16 20:01
Re: East of Sparks, Nevada
Author: GP30Frank

Very nice video !  Clarity was great . I guess Mom was teaching how to run in the water.

Date: 08/29/16 20:20
Author: jkkeck

Bravo. Smoothly assembled video showing me an area I have not explored yet.  I too am disapointed with the audio on my camcorder.

jk

Date: 08/29/16 20:28
Author: Copy19

You sure made me miss my old haunts 1960-77 (with a time- out for the Navy 1964-68).   I recognized every spot.  Thanks for posting.  Very nice video.
JB - Omaha

Date: 08/30/16 00:05
Author: LittleDoc

A really great video! My favorite part of Nevada!

Date: 08/30/16 00:27
Author: Stottman

Nice! 

After moving to SW Idaho, the openess of the high desert has grown on me as well. 

Date: 08/30/16 06:12
Author: SanJoaquinEngr

Great work.  It is nice to see other locations that are seldom filmed...

Date: 08/30/16 08:33
Author: callum_out

Much enjoyed the video, used to spend a lot of time around there. And in encroachment news, Tesla
says they're going to have a siding and use rail service to the bay area, Was at the plant entrance a
few months ago and I can honestly say it's all down hill from there (it's at the edge of encroachment
and nothing!).

Out

Date: 08/30/16 13:31
Author: johnsweetser

I suppose there are some who can understand callum_out's post but I sure couldn't (i.e.,  "the edge of encroachment and nothing," etc).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/30/16 13:33 by johnsweetser.

Date: 08/30/16 13:42
Author: callum_out

The comment was made about industrial growth encroaching on the wide open spaces, well the
Tesla battery plant has other industries to the West side of it (reasonably close) and a whole lot
of open space to the East.

Out

Date: 08/30/16 15:18
Author: sp1827ml

Great video from the home country, Mark!! Nice catch of the SD40-2 on the "50 Job" local. I always seem to see a dirty 5200 Gevo on that local. Also, MP 271 is one of my favorite locations for train photos, as shown on this look from August 17, 2016. Thanks for a great post!!

Mark
Reno, NV

Date: 08/30/16 15:23
Author: Digger

Very well done, thanks for posting. What editing software do you use? 

Chris Donhost
Vacaville, CA 

Date: 08/30/16 15:54
Author: ns1000

I enjoyed the video!!

Date: 08/30/16 17:32

Digger Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Very well done, thanks for posting. What editing
> software do you use? 
>
> Chris Donhost
> Vacaville, CA 

Thanks, Chris. I use Sony Movie Studio- it was the software that I got with my Sony CX-900 camera.
Mark

Date: 08/30/16 17:34
Author: mojaveflyer

Excellent video! In the first segment, at Hafed was I-80 behind you up the hill or across the valley? Thanks for sharing!

James Nelson
Thornton, CO
www.flickr.com/mojaveflyer

Date: 08/30/16 17:41

mojaveflyer Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Excellent video! In the first segment, at Hafed
> was I-80 behind you up the hill or across the
> valley? Thanks for sharing!
I-80 is to the north at the first location, which is behind you as you face the river. A good thing too, it keeps the highway noise out of the soundtrack. Glad that you liked it!
Mark

Date: 09/01/16 07:00
Author: 4400horsepower

Great area to visit, Thanks for taking the time to share with all of us.

Brian
Burlington, Iowa

Date: 09/01/16 07:24
Author: navy5717th

Excellent video. 

Got a question.

A part of the video shows a narrow, cantilver, silver-painted bridge marked "1902."

If 1902 is assumed to be year of its completion there were virtually no cars or trucks -- anywhere -- much less in that part of Nevada,.

IF my assumption is correct, it must've been a railroad bridge ... right?

If not,  what could its purpose have been?

Just curious ...

Thanks,

Fritz In HSV, AL

Date: 09/01/16 13:35

You know, I hadn't really thought about it, but you have a good point. The former terminal of Wadsworth is only a couple of miles east, and it was down at just above river level, roughly the same elevation as that bridge. The current elevated ROW is obviously more modern. The construction of the bridge looks a little light for rail use, but I could easily be wrong. Maybe someone who knows more than me- lots of them about- will answer this puzzle.

Date: 09/02/16 05:33
Author: sp3663

WOW! Really nice work. Wish I was there!
Ron W

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0557 seconds