Home Open Account Help 227 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Two stopped BNSF trains in Johnson County, Kan., hours apart

Date: 08/29/16 19:32
Two stopped BNSF trains in Johnson County, Kan., hours apart
Author: JoCoLB

I had to settle for a couple of stopped BNSF Railway intermodal trains in my Johnson County, Kansas neighborhood today when I did a couple of spot checks of activity on the Emporia Sub.

Photo One shows an eastbound train halted on the Main Three running track on the north side of the Logistics Park Kansas City intermodal center in Edgerton about 11:45 a.m.

In Photo Two, another BNSF intermodal train is shown waiting for a green signal at the Gardner Control Point at 7:10 p.m.  The eastbound train had just exited the LPKC  minutes earlier. I waited around about 20 minutes but the train continued to wait on the dispatcher to move it from Track Three to Track Two.  I decided to leave the location because the sun had dropped behind the horizon.

(Photos by Larry Byers)  

Date: 08/30/16 04:19
Re: Two stopped BNSF trains in Johnson County, Kan., hours apart
Author: sums007

Nice shot!  When they build or terminate an LPK train, does the power run to/from Argentine yard?  Or is there a diesel facility at LPK?

Date: 08/30/16 06:18
Re: Two stopped BNSF trains in Johnson County, Kan., hours apart
Author: JoCoLB

Lots of spare power is usually kept stored at LPKC.  Freshly-serviced power is shuttled to the facility from Argentine.

Also, a considerable number of through trains drop off blocks of cars and pick up others. The power keeps moving east or west. I have no idea about the percentage of trains that actually originate or terminate at LPKC besides the "through trains"  that exchange cars empty or loaded.  I'm pretty sure LPKC is a crew change point, however, for any train entering the yard. 

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/30/16 06:22 by JoCoLB.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0357 seconds