Home Open Account Help 279 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Love that lean...

Date: 10/23/16 20:02
Love that lean...
Author: santafe199

…concentrating… composing… CLICK!

My friend ‘TWJurgens’ is about to lean forward in an effort to get his viewfinder properly lined up on a RR subject. And what a subject! Tom has some extra incentive to get this shot right. It’s the return of UP’s venerable 844 through Nebraska after being in a 4 year long coma. Lean in and enjoy, Tom, she’s a beaut! Earlier in the afternoon I had met Tom and his railfan safari mates Ken Church & Scott Blair in Edgar, NE. In the ensuing chase of the 844 we all sorta crisscrossed our paths, and met unintentionally at the 561st St crossing in the boonies west of tiny Powell, NE.

We met again in front of the old Rock Island Fairbury depot where Uncle Pete decided to park the 844 overnight. We all got our shots and visited for a while until Tom & his gang had to bet back home to Lincoln. But I returned to that spot west of Powell to find something we hadn’t seen much of all day long: Sunshine! And I found some more “leaning”, to boot. This time it was this big giant RR locomotive doing the leaning. Right into a broad sweeping mainline curve. Gotta love it

1. Mr Tom Jurgens is concentrating on the 844 in Fairbury, NE.

2. UP 7929 leans into a right hand curve about a mile west of Powell, NE.
(2 photos taken October 14, 2016)

Thanks for leaning!
Lance Garrels
santafe199

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/23/16 20:06 by santafe199.

Date: 10/23/16 20:27
Re: Love that lean...
Author: miralomarail

Super Elevated Super Power

Date: 10/23/16 21:24
Author: railstiesballast

Take a close look at the rail right under the diesel.  I think you can see a little wave in the rail profile, lifted up slightly in advance of the wheels and depressed under the wheels, on both trucks.
But of course that is as it should be if you watch the deflection of track as a train passes over it.

Date: 10/24/16 05:38
Author: twjurgens

You need a geezer filter!!

Date: 10/24/16 09:09
Author: DD40

railstiesballast Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Take a close look at the rail right under the
> diesel.  I think you can see a little wave in the
> rail profile, lifted up slightly in advance of the
> wheels and depressed under the wheels, on both
> trucks.
> But of course that is as it should be if you watch
> the deflection of track as a train passes over it.

When you see a piece of metal it looks unyeilding. When you work with metal it is far from that. Always fascinating. 

This is a great shot.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0435 seconds