Home Open Account Help 298 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > UP Oakland IM/ Swift Trailers

Date: 10/23/16 21:08
UP Oakland IM/ Swift Trailers
Author: kalthoff

During the past couple of weeks , at least two dozen or more Swift Trailers (not containers) have been parked at UP's Oakland ramp. I suspect they may be setting things up for UPS use at the Christmas rush. Swift has leased trailers to UPS in the past but the fact that so many are parked at the Oakland facility prompts the question if they are for UPS use?

Date: 10/24/16 09:21
Re: UP Oakland IM/ Swift Trailers
Author: fresno

kalthoff Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I suspect
> they may be setting things up for UPS use at the
> Christmas rush.

​I think you answered the question with that remark. UP does so little business with Swift these days - other than the I-5 trains - that I would have to think it's all UPS-related for the Xmas rush. Be interesting to see how that turns out.

​I guess we're talking the ZOAG2s here unless there is another intermodal train running out of Oakland that I don't know about.

Date: 10/24/16 10:26
Author: danstar8

Just saw a couple of UPS tractors pulling Swift Trailers this morning in West Virginia 

Dan

Date: 10/24/16 20:39
Author: cchan006

nyk Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> kalthoff Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > I suspect
> > they may be setting things up for UPS use at
> the
> > Christmas rush.
>
> ​I think you answered the question with that
> remark. UP does so little business with Swift
> these days - other than the I-5 trains - that I
> would have to think it's all UPS-related for the
> Xmas rush. Be interesting to see how that turns
> out.
>
> ​I guess we're talking the ZOAG2s here unless
> there is another intermodal train running out of
> Oakland that I don't know about.

That's my observation, too, ZG2OA/ZOAG2 bringing in and taking out a small number of UPS trailers and boxes.

On occasion, I've seen the ILTLT (Lathrop-Oakland-Lathrop intermodal "shuttle") take some UPS trailer empties to Lathrop, but they are usually gone before sunrise, so their stuff shouldn't be lingering around in Oakland, unless the job brought them in from Lathrop.

Date: 10/24/16 21:42
Author: fresno

Forgot about the ILTLTs so those trains may come into play with those trailers as well.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0407 seconds