Home Open Account Help 303 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Red Rock Water Tank (Arizona)

Date: 11/22/16 18:35
Red Rock Water Tank (Arizona)
Author: cchan006

Here's a post from about 8 years ago regarding the SP Water Tank at Red Rock, Arizona, located about 7-8 miles east from Picacho Peak:

http://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?1,1675652

On my last day in Arizona, I wandered aimlessly to scout for more locations when I saw a white water tank in the distance. Based on how the hotbox detectors were going off (SP 976.8, 964.6, then 954.0), I knew there was a westbound behind me, so I tried to set up, but too late, a Z train of unknown symbol beat me before I could park my car and grab my camera - the crew did see me "trying" so it was nice they gave me a "highball the foamer."

I kept driving west and loosely followed this westbound (on Track 1), then just past Wymola, I heard another train trip the detector at SP 941.5, Track 2. Fortunately, I was on the frontage road, so I quickly turned around and raced the train east and beat it to Red Rock.

That eastbound was the IGSSIX-11 with a GE Tier 4 leader, first clip, and entire train is shown.

I hung around the area for a bit, thinking of taking a photo of just the water tank, when suddenly, hotbox detector at SP 954 went off, Track 1. I had less than 3 minutes to run back to my rental car to grab my video camera to set up, and I chose a wider angle to minimize the shadows. By luck, I ended up getting a meet when another eastbound showed up, second clip, and entire train is shown, although the westbound is blocked by the eastbound. (Symbols not known, but both are intermodals)

That's it for the quick report.

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 11/22/16 20:12
Re: Red Rock Water Tank (Arizona)
Author: srman

Very nice video and glad the water tower still stands. I only visited the area once back in September 1991 to catch this guy going by it.

Date: 11/23/16 05:07
Re: Red Rock Water Tank (Arizona)
Author: robert162

Nice video, i usually stop at the location when visiting Arizona........ but my fellow fans the SP police are everywhere, very polite and professional .  Happy Thanks Giving.  robert in ny

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0344 seconds