Home Open Account Help 303 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Hamburg-Sud Purchase

Date: 12/01/16 09:54
Hamburg-Sud Purchase
Author: mearsksealand

Maersk Line has purchased Hamburg-Sud for $4.0 Billion from the Oetker Group with aims to close by year end 2017.

Hamburg-Sud is the world's seventh largest container shipping line and a leader in North-South trades.
The company operates 130 container vessels witha container capacity of 625,00 TEU's. It has 5,960 employees in more than 250 offices across the world and market services through Hamburg-Sud,CCNI (based in Chile) aand Alianca(based in Brazil) brands

The Hamburg-Sud brand will continue to operate as Hamburg-Sud. It is believed the East-West Hamburg-Sud lanes will be phased into Maersk Line East-West trade but all other operations will continue under the Hamburg-Sud brand

With the acquisition, Maersk Line will have container capacity of around 3.8 million TEU and an 18.6% global capacity share. The combined fleet will consist of 741 container vesselswith an average age of 8.7 years

It also will give APM terminals another customer worlwide for stevedoring services

FYI
Info from Maersk press release today December 1 2016

Dale Smith

Date: 12/01/16 12:06
Re: Hamburg-Sud Purchase
Author: TedS-P

Having worked for Hamburg Sud for nearly 6 years, I wonder how my former colleagues feel about this transaction.  Some may be thinking about a fine departure package, most likely worried about their jobs.  With my time in the containership industry it became apparent it was not the industry to be in and I have never regretted getting out.

Ted S-P

Date: 12/01/16 12:37

In their annoucement Maersk Line made it clear they will operate Hamburg-Sud as it now exsist including keeping the headquarters in Germany with little if no effect on current employees.

Maersk is very aware of the good name Hamburg-Sud has in the market place and they do not want to disturb the relationship between excisting customers and Hamburg-Sud.

Dale Smith

Date: 12/01/16 15:08
Author: mapboy

mearsksealand Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> In their annoucement Maersk Line made it clear
> they will operate Hamburg-Sud as it now exsist
> including keeping the headquarters in Germany with
> little if no effect on current employees.
> Dale Smith

So you won't be changing your handle to maerskhamburg?

mapboy

Date: 12/01/16 16:41

No I will stay with mearsksealand--however I suspect Hamburg-Sud will disappear in the next few years as the intergration process continues just as Sealand name disappeared--but it had re-appeared as Sealand as the new liner service betweeen South America and US

Dale Smith

Posted from iPhone

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0489 seconds