Home Open Account Help 369 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > UP Shafter Sub. Busy Morning

Date: 02/16/17 16:02
UP Shafter Sub. Busy Morning
Author: Searchlight

I made a quick trip this morning west from Salt Lake City UT to check out detour traffic on Union Pacific’s Shafter subdivision (former Western Pacific SLC- Nor Cal). This line usually hosts only a handful of trains a day but flooding has closed UP’s Lakeside subdivision (former Southern Pacific Ogden-Nor Cal) to the north forcing all traffic to/from Northern California onto the Shafter subdivision. The following six westbound and one eastbound trains were observed:

6:35 am, UP 7260 West, Timpie UT, unit tank train
6:43 am, UP 8196 East, Timpie UT, ZDLCYP
7:45 am, UP 8833 West, Low UT, manifest, MNPRV?
8:23 am, UP 7827 West, Low UT, auto racks 1x1
8:48 am, UP 7843 West, Low UT, work train-ballast
9:04 am, UP 9038 West, Low UT, work train-concrete tie
10:25 am, UP 5829 West, Low UT, manifest, MRORV?

I could hear the Wendover local on the radio somewhere west of Low UT. I was back in Salt Lake by 11:45am and did not observe any additional trains aside from the other local at Elerbeck (and a pick-up with ‘Railfan’ UT license plates on the 201 frwy). I took a guess on most of the symbols, feel free to post corrections or send a PM. I’m guessing the MRORV is the only regular train and the rest were either detours or flood related work trains. I’ll try to post a few photos later tonight.
SCE

Date: 02/16/17 20:11
Re: UP Shafter Sub. Busy Morning
Author: JDLX

Typically the only train that shows up during daylight hours west of Wendover is the westbound Roper to Roseville, though it has become somewhat less reliable in the last 6-8 months.

Lots of trains stacked up in Elko waiting to go east today, including a BNSF trackage rights train. You know things are backed up when the same eastbound manifest on the main just east of the Elko yard at 9 this morning was still there nine hours later.

Jeff Moore
Elko, NV

Posted from iPhone

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0454 seconds