Home Open Account Help 343 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Union Pacific at Nelson, Illinois

Date: 02/23/17 17:25
Union Pacific at Nelson, Illinois
Author: GBW309

Nelson, Illinois is a small village located at milepost 103 on Union Pacific's former Chicago and Northwestern Geneva Sub.  Nelson is the railroad junction with the Peoria subdivision that heads south to eventually reach St Louis.  Nelson, for now, retains it's historic railroad feeling.  There are three, easily accessible, four track signal bridges and a four track coaling tower.  Control points were once controlled by a large tower that was situated just to the north of the track.  The east end of the interlocking is known as NQ , the wye is NY and the west end is NJ. Railroad traffic is frequent and fast paced. These shots were all taken last fall.  I really enjoy the signal bridges.  There aren't many left like this in norther Illinois. 

​Enjoy!

Dave

Date: 02/23/17 17:46
Re: Union Pacific at Nelson, Illinois
Author: Spoony81

The Peoria sub now stops NW of Springfield at Barr and it connects to the I&M at the former diamond. The abandoned line has been turned into a six mile bike path west of Springfield and they are in the process of extending it north and have plans to extend it south.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 02/23/17 19:41
Re: Union Pacific at Nelson, Illinois
Author: CNWJim

Used to work road jobs west from Proviso in the '60s and we'd pool at Nelson. There was an old wooden hotel there. I remember Pullman blankets on the beds and a fusee propping up every window. A diner on the first floor and one of the oldest floating poker games in North America running 24/7/365 in the diner. First in, first out. Somewhere I think I might have a punch card, 10 coffees get you one free.
I remember a turntable and a two or three stall engine house there. If you had a heavy rain, all the approach tracks would be under water and we'd boat through the coal tower. Fun days...

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0331 seconds