Home Open Account Help 120 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > No Train Horn Crossing Question & Drone Video in Downtown Olathe

Date: 02/23/17 17:07
No Train Horn Crossing Question & Drone Video in Downtown Olathe
Author: docgrommesh

So first the question...Does anyone know if there is a speed restriction for "No train horn" Crossings?

Second, I don't care how many times I see a train go thru a crossing without blowing the horn, I will just never get used to it.  No matter how safe they have made the crossing it just doesn't feel right.  I am only 40 so not real old but maybe it is just my age??

The second train in the video was hauling some major ass.  He was one of the faster ones I have witnessed.  There are several "no train horn" crossings in KC.  There is one on the UP line at Kennith and basically159th and they fly threw those too but at least you can see them coming...

Enjoy the View!

Doc

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 02/23/17 17:13
Re: No Train Horn Crossing Question & Drone Video in Downtown Ola
Author: 1976

No, there are not speed restrictions

Date: 02/23/17 17:58

Thanks for the info.  I haven't lived in the KC area but for 2 1/2 years and originally from Wichita, KS and they don't have them there at all yet.  The last time I checked anyway. I guess just never seeing until rescently is why it is just so shocking to me...

Doc

Date: 02/23/17 20:16
Author: Lee_in_KC

Ummm... that two-tone grey plain-sided four-story building in your video is the county jail!  Probably not the best place to be flying a drone... just sayin'.

Date: 02/23/17 20:19
Author: ns1000

I enjoyed the video!!

Date: 02/23/17 20:49

Its funny you say that.  When I was in that North parking lot an officer came over to say hi wondering what I was doing.  He thought it was pretty cool and didn't say anything about flying around the county jail.  Maybe because I was on the west side of the tracks?? I appriecte the heads up though!  I couldn't even tell you all the times the police have come up to me, but it comes with the territory of being a railfan that goes out A LOT...lol  Never have had a bad experience with any police officers they usually want to see my ID and then go on there way.

Thanks again for looking out for a fellow railfan!

Doc

Date: 02/23/17 20:52

ns1000 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I enjoyed the video!!

Thanks so much!

Date: 02/23/17 22:37
Author: Chooch

I have often wondered about the legality of Railroad Crossing "Quiet Zones" imposed by local government communities around our country. When the local Government petitions the Railroad responsible for the safety of the crossing to impose a Quiet Zone, does the local government agree to bear some if not all of the legal ramifications eminating from an "accident" at that crossing because standard operating procedures of a warning locomotive horn is not used due to a local government forbiding the sounding of the locomotive horn.

Is the usual requirement of a train sounding it's horn an FRA nationwide requirement or is it an individual States requirement? Who bears the "fault" when an accident occurs at a Quiet Zone RR crossing?

Jim
​Hatboro, PA

Date: 02/23/17 22:38
Author: Chooch

I have often wondered about the legality of Railroad Crossing "Quiet Zones" imposed by local government communities around our country. When the local Government petitions the Railroad responsible for the safety of the crossing to impose a Quiet Zone, does the local government agree to bear some if not all of the legal ramifications emanating from an "accident" at that crossing because standard operating procedures of a warning locomotive horn is not used due to a local government forbidding the sounding of the locomotive horn.

Is the usual requirement of a train sounding it's horn an FRA nationwide requirement or is it an individual States requirement? Who bears the "fault" when an accident occurs at a Quiet Zone RR crossing?

Jim
​Hatboro, PA

Date: 02/24/17 09:13
Author: rustyr0824

Very Cool !!!!!!
Thank you for sharing.
I enjoyed the evening sun and the fact the shadows cast "big boxes" on the ground.
Your flying skills were impressive also.
I'm presuming you have a fancy dancy drone that auto hovers and all that good stuff.
Thanks for including this new form of railfanning.  
It's always fun to see other parts of the country.

I was looking for you on the ground but could not quiet pick you out.
:-)

Rusty
Stafford VA

Date: 02/24/17 10:05

rustyr0824 Wrote:
> Very Cool !!!!!!
> Thank you for sharing.
> I enjoyed the evening sun and the fact the shadows
> cast "big boxes" on the ground.
> Your flying skills were impressive also.
> I'm presuming you have a fancy dancy drone that
> auto hovers and all that good stuff.
> Thanks for including this new form of railfanning.
>  
> It's always fun to see other parts of the
> country.
>
> I was looking for you on the ground but could not
> quiet pick you out.
> :-)
>
> Rusty
> Stafford VA
>  

Thanks for the compliments!  I have been flying RC planes and helicopters for years and years.  Last July I finally purchased the drone.  Not really even knowing too much about them.
My wife is a great woman and doesn't get on me too much for the purchases or the fact that I am out railfanning a lot...lol.  She knows my passion for trains and knows how much I enjoy doing what I do.  When I talk about trains all the time she even acts like she cares???  In saying that I still was conservative on what I bought.  It is the DJI Phantom 3 Advanced.  It does hover when you let go of the sticks, but has no obstacle avoidance sensors on that model so it took quite a few months to get to where I am now.  Put it to you this way.  Both thumbs and both index fingers are all working at the same time.

Thanks again for the compliment and comment,

Doc

Date: 02/24/17 10:19
Author: rustyr0824

Good wife.  Grin.
Yeah you did great, and you kept it on 'this' side of the tracks which I'm sure keeps the jail officer happy.
As far as the crossings. I see that they are quad protected, I'm guessing with bells and the engine had his bell on.
Hopefully the folks in the area are aware of the trains and are mindful of them and are thankful of the no engine horn.
Not sure if you caught the PBS special on train safety. But there was one scene where three rail fans were watching a train
approaching a bell only corssing (no bar) and the engine was blowing but still someone drove the car right into the front of the train.
The whole time while the railfan was videotaping.  It was like duh.
Hopefully no nimby gives you grief with your drone activity.
Keep up the good work. I appreciated your video editing skills too, very professional.
:-)

Date: 02/24/17 10:52
Author: jst3751

Chooch Wrote:
> I have often wondered about the legality of
> Railroad Crossing "Quiet Zones" imposed by local
> government communities around our country. When
> the local Government petitions the Railroad
> responsible for the safety of the crossing to
> impose a Quiet Zone, does the local government
> agree to bear some if not all of the legal
> ramifications emanating from an "accident" at that
> crossing because standard operating procedures of
> a warning locomotive horn is not used due to a
> local government forbidding the sounding of the
> locomotive horn.
>
> Is the usual requirement of a train sounding it's
> horn an FRA nationwide requirement or is it an
> individual States requirement? Who bears the
> "fault" when an accident occurs at a Quiet Zone RR
> crossing?
>
> Jim
> ​Hatboro, PA

Local govement can only request, not impose.

https://www.fra.dot.gov/eLib/details/L03055
https://www.fra.dot.gov/Page/P0889

Date: 02/24/17 16:16
Author: czephyr17

Chooch Wrote:
> I have often wondered about the legality of
> Railroad Crossing "Quiet Zones" imposed by local
> government communities around our country.

Communities cannot "impose" QZs.  They must request such from the railroad, and they work together with the railroad to develop a plan, that must be approved by the FRA, to mitigate the risk associated with eliminating the whistle to a level no more than was present with the whistle (there are tons of engineering computations associated with this).  The mitigation can include road dividers or four quadrant gates designed to prevent cars from going around gates, stationary horns, or other measures as may be appropriate for a given location.  The community, or crossing owner, is responsible for the cost of the upgrades. 

> When
> the local Government petitions the Railroad
> responsible for the safety of the crossing to
> impose a Quiet Zone, does the local government
> agree to bear some if not all of the legal
> ramifications eminating from an "accident" at that
> crossing because standard operating procedures of
> a warning locomotive horn is not used due to a
> local government forbiding the sounding of the
> locomotive horn.

If my understanding is correct, the community also takes on the legal liability if an incident occurs when a QZ is established.  However, the engineer is still allowed/required to sound the horn if he/she sees an imminent danger or if there are workers around the crossing.

>
> Is the usual requirement of a train sounding it's
> horn an FRA nationwide requirement or is it an
> individual States requirement?

FRA requirement.

> Who bears the
> "fault" when an accident occurs at a Quiet Zone RR
> crossing?
>
> Jim
> ​Hatboro, PA

Date: 02/25/17 16:02
Author: kingman

Seems to me they should block the walkways if theres no horn. Some chucklehead is going to wander along listening to his phone or with buds in the ears and whack,

Date: 02/26/17 14:52
Author: sp8192

Nice stuff!  Never seen Olathe from that angle...

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0765 seconds