Home Open Account Help 373 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > If You Don't Like the Weather in Kansas...

Date: 03/11/17 13:16
If You Don't Like the Weather in Kansas...
Author: mg8711

...just wait 5 days!

Okay, so the old saying is actually "5 minutes" but as the fact it's a joke would suggest, it's exaggerated. On Monday I found myself out storm chasing after work, I started at Swamp Angel with the storms not looking to do much. then ended up east of Wamego with tornado sirens blaring and a weak tornado passing two miles to my south, fast forward to today and we had a light snowfall and temperatures in the 20's, after highs in the 80's back on Monday. Due to a bit of luck I was able to bag a train this morning in the same two locations I shot the storms at just 5 days ago under those stormy skies. Images are numbered in order they were shot, not the order they are presented.

1) Swamp Angel Road is quiet, as is the UP's KP Line, but the skies above are not. Lightning will soon come crashing down along with hail and heavy rain.

3) With a grain train consisting almost entirely of 1970's and 1980's era cars, UP 8551 powers east through heavy snow, the snow muted the sound of the train until it was right on me, sort of an eerie experience.

Date: 03/11/17 13:16
Re: If You Don't Like the Weather in Kansas...

2) At Airport Road east of Wamego, KS the distant scream of tornado sirens doesn't phase motorists as they race home ahead of the storms, barely. No doubt TO member "kansas1"'s company has put out tornado warnings for the UP as has the National Weather Service done for the public. A tornado is on the ground to the southwest and will pass two miles south of Wamego, with another one passing three miles north. I couldn't see either.

4) Again 5 days later, the scene is much different with a light dusting of snow and the UP 8551 still pulling east with its grain train in tow.

Images 1 and 2 taken March 6th, 2017. Images 3 and 4 taken March 11th, 2017
Thanks for looking!
mg8711

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/11/17 13:39 by mg8711.

Date: 03/11/17 13:28
Author: GeneL

That weather picture # 2 is a stunner!

Date: 03/11/17 14:41
Author: Topfuel

What is the purpose behind those short, stubby signals in the 1st two pictures?  I see those in quite a few places along the Golden State Route.

Date: 03/11/17 14:58

Topfuel Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What is the purpose behind those short, stubby
> signals in the 1st two pictures?  I see those in
> quite a few places along the Golden State Route.

I would guess they cost less and are closer to the ground so if someone fell off of them they'd have less distance to fall.
mg8711

Date: 03/11/17 15:53
Author: ns1000

Nice pics!!  Pic 3 is my favorite.

Date: 03/11/17 16:06
Author: kansas1

FANTASTIC pictures. Yes, we were very, very busy that evening. 

Date: 03/11/17 18:10
Author: Ritzville

Very NICE!!

Larry

Date: 03/12/17 06:11
Author: jmbreitigan

Some masty looking weather in your first photo. 
John

Date: 03/12/17 07:06
Author: oklachaser

Great series of photos.

Ronda Thomas

Date: 03/12/17 12:39
Author: cdrapollo20

Love one and two!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.2242 seconds