Home Open Account Help 288 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > CARB Pushes for Much Tighter Locomotive Emissions Standards

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

Date: 04/19/17 23:10
CARB Pushes for Much Tighter Locomotive Emissions Standards
Author: SOO6617

Date: 04/19/17 23:34
Re: CARB Pushes for Much Tighter Locomotive Emissions Standards
Author: pdt

Oh jesus. I'm left of center on most things, and even I think this is ridiculous. Politician in search of a cause. IMHO.

Date: 04/20/17 00:00
Author: 28hogger

I'm sure most of these rail yards that are causing so much problem were built long before the so called communities were even thought of. Typical California BS run small business out with stupid regs., raise the gas tax, now lets pick on the railroads. When a potato in California coast 10 bucks they will blame it on the greedy railroads, and the trucking company's and oh yea the oil companies because the fuel is so high.
The people running this state have a bad case of Cranialrectumitous. This is just my opinion.

Warren

Date: 04/20/17 01:47
Author: dt8089

Or they're in need of a plexotomy. A surgical procedure where a 5 by 7 inch piece of plexiglass is sewn into ones belly. The purpose is so one can see where they're going when they have their head up their ass. Dan

Date: 04/20/17 03:31
Author: SeaboardMan

dt8089 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Or they're in need of a plexotomy. A surgical
> procedure where a 5 by 7 inch piece of plexiglass
> is sewn into ones belly. The purpose is so one
> can see where they're going when they have their
> head up their ass. Dan

Ooooooo, I like it, just hope I can remember it, lol.

Date: 04/20/17 03:55
Author: SD45X

So that's how you fix cranial rectosis

Date: 04/20/17 06:49
Author: qnyla

They ought to assess all modes of freight transportation equally using pollution per ton-mile. Rail would be shown as much cleaner than trucking and they could go focus their efforts someplace productive.

While we are on the topic, here is a shot from last week that the CARB would love. The lead unit eventually had to be shut down due to flames coming from the stack.

Date: 04/20/17 07:29
Author: CPRR

California Air Resources Board
1001 "I" Street
Sacramento, CA 95814
P.O. Box 2815
Sacramento, CA 95812

Write a ton of letters. Swamp them, demanding electric railroads state wide. Take the money from HSR

Posted from iPhone

Date: 04/20/17 07:32
Author: PHall

Guys, this is a proposal. And they're requesting a waiver from the EPA, an agency that is currently being disassembled by the current administration.
So what makes you think it will ever see the light of day???

Date: 04/20/17 08:01
Author: BAB

Its the great state which knows all, sees all, and has the actors living there making policy or at least trying to. They then send ideas north to us thinking that we need to do the same. Not our fault that by noon in Modesto the smog is so thick you cant tell if its fog or smog. Doing things like this will not help any air quality just drive up prices in the supposedly sun shine state...........with smog included.

Date: 04/20/17 09:56
Author: MojaveBill

I am 81. My family moved to Mojave in 1948 because the smog in the San Joaquin Valley was killing my father. He lived into his 90s. Unless you were around then you have NO idea of what it was like.
The gunk from the Monolith Cement Plant at Tehachapi covered the ground almost all the way to Mojave. LA was a lot like China is now. I live (by choice) a block from the Mojave UP yard and have no
problem with cleaning up this stuff. Our local aerospace industry depends on clean air.

Bill Deaver
Tehachapi, CA

Date: 04/20/17 11:06
Author: g-spotter

MojaveBill Wrote:
> I am 81. My family moved to Mojave in 1948 because
> the smog in the San Joaquin Valley was killing my
> father. He lived into his 90s. Unless you were
> around then you have NO idea of what it was like.
> The gunk from the Monolith Cement Plant at
> Tehachapi covered the ground almost all the way to
> Mojave. LA was a lot like China is now. I live (by
> choice) a block from the Mojave UP yard and have
> no
> problem with cleaning up this stuff. Our local
> aerospace industry depends on clean air.

Thank you Mojave Bill. Smoking machines are an inefficient use of precious fuel and lube. Steam engines smoked because they are primitive machines. As much as I love them, harmful effluent from our beloved industrial machines needs to be arrested, and the technology should reflect our knowledge of the effects of its use. The atmosphere is being affected from past and present fuel use. If we value the concept of tomorrow, we must continue to push the clean machine envelope. Even China is waking up. Hopefully we don't fall back asleep at the throttle.

Date: 04/20/17 16:00
Author: DENNRRA

And my feelings is the sooner Calif. drops into the ocean the better off the hole world will be, not to mention the US

Date: 04/20/17 16:21
Author: jst3751

DENNRRA Wrote:
> And my feelings is the sooner Calif. drops into
> the ocean the better off the hole world will be,
> not to mention the US

I would rather live in Southern California than in Chicago or New York City.

Date: 04/20/17 16:57
Author: callum_out

While I agree with you, there are people who absolutely love NYC and wouldn't live anywhere else.
I ran into a couple from New York one day while getting gas in Nebraska and I swear they were truly
worried about Indian attacks! Takes all kinds I guess.

Out

Date: 04/20/17 22:30
Author: jst3751

callum_out Wrote:
> While I agree with you, there are people who
> absolutely love NYC and wouldn't live anywhere
> else.
> I ran into a couple from New York one day while
> getting gas in Nebraska and I swear they were
> truly
> worried about Indian attacks! Takes all kinds I
> guess.
>
> Out

See, what those studies never revel, is that if you look at the states that have the worst air, those are the same exact states with the most people per square mile. More people, more polution.

Date: 04/20/17 22:57
Author: doge_of_pocopson

DENNRRA Wrote:
> not to mention the US

Nice spelling. 
I thrive as a businessman in California, employing hundreds of Americans, and I have no plans to move.  I was wounded defending your right to be angry and hateful, so enjoy it.  If you ever come to California, which I doubt, we will treat you well.  Hate and anger solve nothing.
By the way, for all of your dislike, California composes more than an eighth of all Americans, and more than an eighth of your nation's GDP.
While this proposal is silly, the air in SoCal, as Bill describes, used to be basically unbreathable on some summer days.  I grew up in it, and the air quality is so much better now.  We have lots of problems in CA, but we will solve them, as we have since the days of the Bear Flag Republic. 
B

Date: 04/20/17 23:06
Author: TomG

> See, what those studies never revel, is that if
> you look at the states that have the worst air,
> those are the same exact states with the most
> people per square mile. More people, more
> pollution.

Not true. And I am by far not on the CARB side that is way to extreme on everything they do. If you look at California, the populous north of Sacramento is fairly small in comparison to the rest of the state. The most being in the LA basin, Sacramento and the SF bay area. The area north of sac is larger than a lot of states in this country, yet Shasta County is one of the areas considered a hi pollution area, yet there is next to no manufacturing, one interstate, and the only real contributor's are Ag burning in the fall and that's not even that big of deal. (yes I know fires cause some also, but that's hit or miss also). The reason the north valley has poor air quality is all the pollution from sac and the bay area pushing up the valley 150 miles and stopping at the rim of the central valley in Shasta county. Its the south winds bottling everything up against the northern mountains. Its not where its made, its where it ends up.

Date: 04/20/17 23:36
Author: Coalca

As descibed in the post above, Redding and the northern end of the Central Valley still has a bad smog problem, for the reasons stated. There's a scenic spot by Marysville, CA dubbed 'the buttes' by old timers. Most summer days you can hardly see them til you're almost to run into em.

With the amount of rain the northern valley has gotten this year, I'd be curious how clean the air looks right now. I bet it's excellent. Redding's air has always looked like China's in many respects. I hope the rain has enabled a reset of sorts, to see where air quality currently stands.

On the flip side, I really hope CARB -doesn't- get too carried away with railroad emissions. T4 units are already exceptionally clean burning units. Anything cleaner is strictly dealing with NOx, not particulate matter (black smoke). All diesel pickups since 2007 have Particulate filters from the factory. The smog is coming from something other than just diesel burning engines.

Date: 04/20/17 23:52
Author: BCHellman

DENNRRA Wrote:
> not to mention the US

California's G.D.P. would be ranked 6th in the world if it was a country, only behind China, the rest of the U.S., Japan, the U.K. and Germany. Also the U.S. would lose an important food source, and one could argue a good deal of its brain-power (Silicon Valley, Cal Tech, U.C. System, Stanford, Aerospace and Defense, etc).

So how could this be good for the U.S.?

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0975 seconds