Home Open Account Help 373 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Sappington, Montana

Date: 06/19/17 11:22
Sappington, Montana
Author: hawkeye

Where the Milwaukee Road once crossed the Northern Pacific. Taken just a couple of weeks ago.

Date: 06/19/17 12:40
Re: Sappington, Montana
Author: WoodwardEJ

Looking approximately West.
Track crossing the Jefferson River is former Northern Pacific (now MRL) line through Jefferson Canyon to Whitehall and on to Homestake Pass. Line that remains on the south side of the river is the branch line to Harrison MT.
Milwaukee ROW is now a "jeep trail" per Google Maps.
For a 1979 ground-level view by Ron Nixon, look at RVN50008 at http://www.morphotoarchive.org/rvndb/

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/19/17 12:45 by WoodwardEJ.

Date: 06/19/17 13:24
Author: GBW309

Nice shots. Drones have opened new vistas never before accessible to the average railroad enthusiast. Thanks for posting.

Dave

Date: 06/19/17 13:35
Author: bmarti7

Nice! Looks like the electric poles are long-gone.

BB

Date: 06/19/17 14:54
Author: fbe

The trolley poles were Idaho cedar. They were removed after the railroad abandoned and salvaged for other uses. The HVAC line is still functioning.

Date: 06/19/17 15:40
Author: isambard

first, thank you for the link to the Museum of the Rockies photo archive. What a treasure.
also, I remember driving across Montana after Milwaukee Road's bankruptcy, with all the ghost railroad lines. They were such a sad sight.

Date: 06/19/17 18:23

Photo 1 shows the roadbed for a wye track which has a tail to the left which is long enough to turn a short train as might be needed.

Date: 06/19/17 20:54
Author: tc

Thank you !!!!! I have always wondered what the crossing looked like I have been tempted many times to walk down there to see what it looked like (if it was possible) in the many trips there.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/19/17 20:56 by tc.

Date: 06/19/17 21:49

You would need to drive through the truck load/unload area or perhaps walk through those lots. It is Montana so if you ask at the talc plant office they might allow some access.

Date: 06/20/17 16:25
Author: tc

One day I hope to call Montana home so I can enjoy all of this. Sorry just had to vent.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0414 seconds