Home Open Account Help 286 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Awake for the switch

Date: 06/23/17 14:38
Awake for the switch
Author: Railfan4Christ

On vacation this week, so I was able to awake at 4 am to head up to Castle Hot Springs to see the Arizona & California make the "switch" with the BNSF. Usually its dark when they swap trains, but during the long summer days we are able to see it, plus the light is better during this time.

1. RCPE 6434 brings the A&C train into view and preparing to stop and cut off their power so they can hook up to the westbound which is already in the siding waiting for them.
2. After the A&C power cuts off, BNSF 782 and 529 hook up to their train which is now headed "west" even though it is facing southeast. They pulled down to the east end of the siding and backed their train in behind the A&C train to clear for an eastbound Z train, which I didn't have time to stay for.
3. A&C 4004,4003, and RCPE 6434 get ready to leave Castle Hot Springs for Parker.

It wasn't long after I took this photo that the conductor on the A&C train approached me while I was standing at the road crossing and asked what I was doing. After telling him the obvious, he asked why I had a radio. Again I told him the obvious, to which he told me that it was illegal to have it and to listen to their conversations. I informed him that in Arizona it was legal, to which he replied that I wasn't in Arizona! He told me he didn't want to see me with it again and if I did, he would call the cops. I told him to call the cops and then left, as they were leaving anyway. Very disturbing conversation.

One more pic..

Date: 06/23/17 14:44
Re: Awake for the switch

Was almost too late catching up to him crossing the Hassayampa River but managed to get a grab shot.

Thanks for looking,

Tom

Date: 06/23/17 15:01
Author: Margaret_SP_fan

Great photos, sir! You got a really nice variety of
power -- even a warbonnet on the point in one photo!
And in different and scenic locations, too. Love your
thread title, too! A great play on words. :)

I am so sorry that that conductor was so mean to you.
What a huge bummer! Just a very sad example of far
too many people's attitudes these days. And a good
reason why I no longer railfan anywhere except on my
computer.

Thank you, again, for these great photos.

Date: 06/23/17 15:10
Author: irhoghead

Unfortunately, I have worked with way too many guys on the railroad that are just butt holes to put it mildly. They, for whatever reason, have a hard on for people that are out enjoying the hobby of railroading, even if those folks weren't trespassing or doing anything dangerous. For the most part, they are just miserable people in life in general as well. Just shake your head and move on. There isn't any sense in lowering yourself to their level of lack of intelligence.

Date: 06/23/17 15:55
Author: icancmp193

So what State were you in? Because the last time I paid attention to things like this, a scanner was not prohibited in California or Nevada either.

TJY

Date: 06/23/17 16:03

icancmp193 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> So what State were you in? Because the last time I
> paid attention to things like this, a scanner was
> not prohibited in California or Nevada either.
>
> TJY

I was and currently am in AZ. After he told me I wasn't in AZ, I just decided to just move on; not worth arguing with idiots.

Tom

Date: 06/23/17 16:15
Author: LittleDoc

Another option would have been to "turn the other cheek" and move on.. Ya think?

Steve

Date: 06/23/17 19:24
Author: SN711

Great photos. Worth the effort to get up early.

I can imagine that working the A&C is a tough environment. During the summer there is maybe 2 hours overnight where the temp actually gets to a comfortable level. If you are grumpy already the heat is just going to make it worse.

Gary

Posted from iPhone

Date: 06/23/17 19:36
Author: dash944cw

I've encountered this "You-can't-take-pictures" BS crap before in Needles, California and Granger, Wyoming. In one instance, the Railroad Dick over-road the Switchman and said we were OK, and in the other case, "she" finally said: "...well, just be careful" and shoved off. If you'd had a cell phone, you should have told him: "Here... what's the number? I'll call 'em right now!!! What is it, 911???" Some of these clowns on power trips who claim to officiate for the railroad need to be smartened up and their bluff called. I don't know what planet they come from, but you were doing NOTHING illegal!!

Date: 06/23/17 21:17
Author: cchan006

Railfan4Christ Wrote:
(snip)
> to which he told me that it was illegal to have it
> and to listen to their conversations. I informed
> him that in Arizona it was legal, to which he
> replied that I wasn't in Arizona! He told me he
> didn't want to see me with it again and if I did,
> he would call the cops. I told him to call the
> cops and then left, as they were leaving anyway.
> Very disturbing conversation.

First, thanks for the great report.

I was approached by a Trackmobile operator few years ago, who didn't want me to take pictures (or videos) of him. I explained to him that I was interested in the Trackmobile and the cars he was pulling. He walked away, still upset, giving me "the stare" as I recorded more video, but I took great efforts to obscure his identity (no close ups). To this day, I haven't posted the video, partially to respect his wishes.

I had a few theories to his attitude: dodging alimony payments, avoiding back taxes, or maybe he was creeped out by technology and just wanted privacy.

As for the A&C conductor, maybe he's from Indiana. That's one state where using radio scanner is "regulated." I would have respected him more, had he been direct like the Trackmobile operator - he doesn't want his picture taken - instead of coming up with some power trip excuse. You didn't mention how old he looked, but the rare times I've had problems trackside with railroad employees, ALL of them were young (including the Trackmobile guy), and likely a bit paranoid about job security.

Date: 06/23/17 22:35
Author: bmarti7

Please enlighten me. I thought scanning was regulated by the FCC. The only local laws that I am aware of regard interference with law enforcement, etc. otherwiise listening to radio transmissions is lawful anywhere.
BB

Date: 06/24/17 00:17
Author: cchan006

bmarti7 Wrote:
> Please enlighten me. I thought scanning was
> regulated by the FCC. The only local laws that I
> am aware of regard interference with law
> enforcement, etc. otherwiise listening to radio
> transmissions is lawful anywhere.
> BB

You would think so...

https://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?2,289618

You can enlighten yourself further by picking certain keywords on any Internet search engine, since I'm definitely not an expert on this subject.

Date: 06/24/17 04:16
Author: exhaustED

irhoghead Wrote:
> Unfortunately, I have worked with way too many
> guys on the railroad that are just butt holes to
> put it mildly. They, for whatever reason, have a
> hard on for people that are out enjoying the hobby
> of railroading, even if those folks weren't
> trespassing or doing anything dangerous. For the
> most part, they are just miserable people in life
> in general as well. Just shake your head and move
> on. There isn't any sense in lowering yourself to
> their level of lack of intelligence.

Very true comments i think, this type of negative individual makes up the minority (fortunately) but they certainly do their best to spoil your day. It's no different to life generally and these people won't change, always worth pointing out their lack of knowledge though if you're sure of your facts. I wonder what state he thought you were in?!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/24/17 04:17 by exhaustED.

Date: 06/24/17 07:21
Author: 3rdswitch

Main thing is you got the shots, and good ones. Unfortunately an atypical attitude in this day and age. Jobs don't get much better than railroad jobs, his loss.
JB

Date: 06/24/17 09:37
Author: foamergirl

Beautiful photos! Great location!

I'm with you. I used to railfan at locations in person, haven't in a little while, have become afraid, get questioned, don't want any trouble.

Date: 06/24/17 10:25
Author: jointauthority

This is funny to me, I'm actually participating in a Facebook conversation on a coworkers page where we are talking about employees being anti railfan.
Quite funny topic, a bunch of railroaders complaining about foamers on their time off.....we can't stop talking about trains even when we are off duty. That's railroading for ya.

Posted from Android

Date: 06/24/17 15:50
Author: WichitaJct

Why are some rr employees anti-railfan?

jointauthority Wrote:
> This is funny to me, I'm actually participating in
> a Facebook conversation on a coworkers page where
> we are talking about employees being anti railfan.
>
> Quite funny topic, a bunch of railroaders
> complaining about foamers on their time off.....we
> can't stop talking about trains even when we are
> off duty. That's railroading for ya.
>
> Posted from Android

Date: 06/25/17 17:40
Author: Out_Of_Service

there's an NS engineer on the 38/39G pool i call ASS PANTS ... anytime he goes by anyone with a camera he stands up at the consol with his ass facing the window ... NOW ... the windows are heavily tinted so you can't see him unless you look real hard ... one day after he went by i drove behind down the dirt road and snuck up behind him with the him sitting in the seat and the window open ... he saw me and RAAAANNN to the fireman's side until he was ahead of me ... here's the funny thing ... i park my vehicle right at the sidewalk where the crew van drops them off ... he has to walk by my truck to get to his train ...

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0928 seconds