Home Open Account Help 375 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Toto Tuesday--53 Years Ago . . .

Date: 07/25/17 20:22
Toto Tuesday--53 Years Ago . . .
Author: SCKP187

From my Dad's Conductor's Books

6 time slips in 2 days--undoubtedly a pretty good half this month.

In Salina KS on the UP the boards were cut pretty close and many times crews would be retained for the next immediate call account everyone else was either out or not rested, and the RR had you for 16 hours back then, and I think at this time they were still carrying their bedrolls and sleeping in the caboose because they didn't have a hotel with running water agreement yet.

May 15 1964 he was in Ellis KS ready to go on an extra east to Salina with work at
MP 290 Hays
MP 280 Victoria
MP 263 Russell
MP 240 Wilson
MP 224 Ellsworth
MP 219 Kanopolis
and tied up after 9'45" on duty, pretty much a normal trip for the 116 mile run.

The next morning he was first out when rested and was called to deadhead to Junction City with the Trainmaster for the westbound KCLA--hotest train on the KP, making passenger train speeds from Junction City to Salina. Instead of being relieved, he was immediately called to stay on the train and go west to Ellis--116 miles in 2'5".

This put him back in Ellis in time to deadhead back to Salina on #18 Portland Rose that afternoon so that he could be rested and called for #155 local to work west to Ellis.

Thanks for looking and remembering how RR life was back in the day before crew vans and hotels and 12' days and trains that stopped in several towns for pick up and set outs.
Brian Stevens

Date: 07/25/17 20:23
Re: Toto Tuesday--53 Years Ago . . .
Author: SCKP187

last 2

Date: 07/25/17 20:51
Author: santafe199

I still marvel at how the UP once ran one of its hottest trains across the KP. It must have stirred a lot of pride & good morale...

Lance

Date: 07/25/17 22:35
Author: Ritzville

Thanks for the interesting look back. Those 16hr days could be long haul.

Larry

Date: 07/26/17 06:58
Author: monaddave

And all with ABS, train order and timetable operations! Thanks for the look.

I'm surprised Lance didn't pick up on that WAG reporting mark listed for his wheel report on the last post. You know, the real WAG, Senior, once told me that was his favorite railroad for obvious reasons.
Dave in Msla

Date: 07/26/17 10:47
Author: wmbrakeman

think it great that you have that , i am sure you look at the book and think how hard your dad worked to take care of his family , and i am sure as my grandfather and uncles on the WM RR in Cumberland Md just enjoy going to work 99% of the time .

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0452 seconds