Home Open Account Help 285 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Cheat Shots of a BNSF Desert Branchline

Date: 08/12/17 14:53
Cheat Shots of a BNSF Desert Branchline
Author: spider1319

The Cushenbury from not that long ago.The year is 2005.During the summer with long days which allowed good light for westbound out of Cushenbury.The Local went to work in Victorville at 1200.Working from Cushenbury to Hesperia is the sequence of images. .First up is leaving the plant at Cushenbury.Next is just out of Cushenbury and last is about two miles out of Cush.More to follow.Bill Webb

Date: 08/12/17 14:58
Re: Cheat Shots of a BNSF Desert Branchline

Three more from the the "Cushenbury"The first is just over two miles out of Cushenbury.The second is at MP 12 and the last is the Mojave River bridge.Bill Webb

Date: 08/12/17 15:16
Author: atsf121

Nice series. I spotted the cement plants from the air on a trip to Irvine a few years ago, will have to go back and do some exploring on the ground one of these days.

Nathan

Date: 08/12/17 15:32
Author: miralomarail

Here is a photo of their switch engine at the Cement Factory Nov 1981

Date: 08/12/17 16:04
Author: railwaybaron

I did one trip on the Cushenbury Local, the late great John Sanford was my conductor. A hogger better use the "one-holer" before the return on that job, otherwise he may mess his "Roundhouse Brand" overalls going down that hill with a loaded cement train! Nice shots, but Santa Fe units would have been better.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/12/17 16:05 by railwaybaron.

Date: 08/12/17 20:58
Author: 3rdswitch

Great bunch Bill, glad you carried your camera.
JB

Date: 08/13/17 07:56
Author: hotrail

Spider13109-- really interesting shots of a seldom-seen line. Thanks for posting. I have been wanting to follow that line on my motorcycle for quite a while. Are there some dirt roads that follow most of the right of way? What sort of vehicle did you use?

Date: 08/13/17 09:01

This is a one shot branch ,although with the speed now 10 mph for the whole district you might be able to get ahead of it.No roads parallel.Drive in and out.Bill Webb

Date: 08/13/17 11:27

Some time back, someone posted an interesting photo from the Cushenberry branch. If I recall correctly, the crew was posed next to a small rock outcropping alongside the ROW. Tried to search for it but could not find it. Was that your photo?

Date: 08/13/17 14:09
Author: railwaybaron

If you are referring to my sole trip, we had a "rule"--photos could be taken but NEVER published to protect the guilty.

Date: 08/13/17 15:28
Author: ns1000

Great pics!!

Date: 08/13/17 15:53

OK I searched a little more and found the previous thread. This has a lot of fantastic shots of the construction of the branch and the first train over this line. Check out the penultimate photo in the thread. I think it would be fun to go out and search for this spot today. I wonder if that rock could be located?

https://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?11,2771020,2771527#msg-2771527

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0488 seconds