Home Open Account Help 385 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > The great Peavine chase of 2017

Date: 08/14/17 10:32
The great Peavine chase of 2017
Author: arizonaBNSF

So for a bit of a backstory, I spent the weekend camped along the BNSF Seligman Sub. a few miles east of Williams Junction. Come Sunday morning, I hoped that I would be able to catch a Phoenix bound train sometime before noon and follow it into Phoenix as a way of being able to do some railfanning on my way home.

I got my wish and the Z-WSPPHX passed my camping spot about 9 am and waited just east of Williams Junction for the H-PHXBEL to enter the Seligman Sub. This took about 30 minutes longer than it should have since the crew on the H-PHXBEL couldn't get the PTC to work. Finally after all that time trying (and the Phoenix Sub. dispatcher getting more frustrated about PTC), they gave the train permission to run without PTC, allowing him to enter the Seligman Sub. so the Z-WSPPHX could continue it's journey.

It was a good chase, the sunlight and the clouds cooperated with me the entire time and I ran into no problems along the way. The crew had an east trip too. They only had to meet two other trains along the way. First, it passed downtown Williams at the same time the Grand Canyon Railway train was leaving, and I'm still kicking myself for not driving into downtown and getting shots. Second, it met an EB vehicle train at Abra that left Phoenix in the wee hours of the morning. The V train was waiting for the WSPPHX, so it was able to pass right on through.

Anyway on to the pictures. I tried to get some different shots and some lesser photographed locations, so most of these photo angles are probably only recognizable for other hardcore Phoenix Sub. fans.

1. First is a grab shot of the train passing my campsite of Chalender, east of Williams. This was the only spot where the crew waved at me. I can imagine they probably got tired of seeing me so often.
2. Z-WSPPHX passing approaching the the former location of Cruice (M.P. 4). Fun Fact: The one mile stretch of track the train is on is the only section of the route from the original 1895 route still in use north of Skull Valley.
3. Another picture at Cruice. There is nothing much here other than an old open-pit quarry and a grade crossing, but a mile long passing siding once existed here. Also, the pre 1901 alignment through Limestone Canyon veered off to the left where the locomotives are in this shot.

Date: 08/14/17 10:40
Re: The great Peavine chase of 2017

4. BNSF 7690 is passing the wye at Drake (Cedar Glade)M.P. 21. This wye is used by BNSF to interchange with Drake Cement and the Arizona Central Railroad. Although AZCR only runs to Drake about once a week, almost every H-BELPHX/PHXBEL stops here to drop off and pick up cars. During my visit, about 20 loaded coal hoppers for Drake Cement and one centerbeam either for or from the AZCR where sitting here.
5. Same spot, zoomed out with the old water tower.
6. A shot of the coal hoppers sitting on west leg of the wye. On the left side of the pic, part of the centerbeam can be seen on the east leg

Date: 08/14/17 10:47

7. BNSF 4633 leads an EB Vehicle train (not sure of the symbol) at Abra, M.P. 28. The Z-WSPPHX beat me here by about a minute, but I got here in time to hear this train get a warrant and pull out of the east end of Abra siding. Before getting the warrant, the conductor informed the dispatcher that he was brand new on this line and asked him to go easy on him. The dispatcher complired and read the warrant off slow and clear to help the rookie conductor.
8. Another shot of the same train passing a small PiƱon Pine tree.
9. The delay to catch the vehicle train at Abra meant that BNSF 7690 was able to get ahead of me by a lot and I wasn't able to catch up until Congress (M.P. 124. A few months ago, this siding was filled with stored grain hoppers, making this shot impossible to get.

Date: 08/14/17 10:51

10. BNSF 7690 south of Wickenburg (M.P. 141), about to enter Wickenburg Canyon. Notice the standing water from the rain storm the previous evening.
11. Lastly, BNSF 7690 approaches Orangewood Ave. in Glendale (M.P. 183). This train is only a few miles away from entering the Intermodel ramp, ending its long journey from Willow Springs, Illinois.

Thanks for taking a look and happy railfanning!

Date: 08/14/17 17:58
Author: tferk

Excellent coverage of the Peavine.

The centerbeam was unloaded at Drake. Drake Switching Co. has been promoting transloading services. All trackage at Drake (other than the BNSF mainline) is owned by Drake Switching Co.
AZCR ownership starts several hundred feet east of the east road crossing.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/14/17 17:58 by tferk.

Date: 08/14/17 19:20
Author: SouthWestRailCams

Very Nice Coverage!

SouthWest RailCams
CA, NM, CO, TX, AZ
https://SouthWestRailCams.com

Date: 08/14/17 20:56
Author: BCHellman

The eastward Vehicle train coming into Ash Fork at 1.00PM. It was a struggle climbing the old main line. I timed it at 22mph.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0743 seconds