Home Open Account Help 240 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > UP exDRGW Montrose Local

Date: 08/17/17 09:36
UP exDRGW Montrose Local
Author: spider1319

From June of 2017 the Montrose Local out of Grand Junction was operating on an out one day back the next.I caught up with it for a fun chase.The first image is west of Roubidieu alongside the Gunnison River.The next picture is at Loupac and the third is rolling through Olathe.Bill Webb

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/18/17 05:00 by spider1319.

Date: 08/17/17 10:17
Re: UP exDRGW Montrose Local
Author: zephyrus

Neat shots!

What customers / traffic are left on the Montrose / Sommerset branches? Any customers in Monstrose and Delta? Any coal still loading?

TIA!

Z

Date: 08/17/17 10:45
Author: dan

cool

Date: 08/17/17 10:49
Author: callum_out

Nice!!

Out

Date: 08/17/17 10:54
Author: SP8595

Great catch and shots!

Date: 08/17/17 11:12
Author: TomPlatten

Where did they drop the hopper cars? The train got much shorter!

Date: 08/17/17 11:34
Author: Gonut1

Looks like a fun chase! That looks like a really scenic route. I think the 4th St crossing is actually in Olathe not Delta?
Gonut

Date: 08/17/17 12:20

The crossing shot I do believe is in Olathe, that's the siding that gets the tank car spots. The hoppers were
most likely dropped for the elevator in Delta. I'm still half amazed by the inbound volume of lumber to the
planing mill

Out

Date: 08/17/17 13:11
Author: GrandeGold

That is a wonderful local and route to follow. I was fortunate to chase Rio Grande 3111 and 3105 from Grand Junction to Montrose and back in 2003. I wonder if they still haul wood chip hoppers from Montrose?

Posted from iPhone

James Belmont
Salt Lake City, UT

Date: 08/17/17 14:08

James, no they don't, that traffic has been gone for some time.

Out

Date: 08/17/17 20:38
Author: SCKP187

Nice shots. Locals are fun to cover--really like the power.
Brian Stevens

Date: 08/18/17 04:59

Thanks for the correction.The typo has been fixed.Bill Webb

Date: 08/18/17 05:45
Author: Earlk

The Montrose-Grande Junction Line was part of the original narrow gauge mainline from Denver to Salt Lake City by was of Pueblo, Salida, Marshall Pass & Gunnison. It was standard gauged in the early 1900's. The last time I was out there, the mileposts still reflected the mileage from Denver by way of Gunnison and Salida.

Date: 08/18/17 07:06

The hopper cars were setout at Delta on the North Fork.The dock at Montrose loads scrap.The power is split at Montrose to get around the train.The runaround at Montrose is out of service.The in service trackage extends just past the dock.There is one mine operating on the North Fork,West Elk.Somerset has been relaimed with silos gone.Bill Webb

Date: 08/18/17 08:48
Author: 3rdswitch

Very nice Bill, great job.
JB

Date: 08/18/17 15:40
Author: Copy19

My wife and I drove down that way last month on our way from Grand Junction to Durango. Pretty country. Delta and Montrose looked prosperous and lively. We saw the Union Pacific local along the way but I don't remember exactly where.

John Bromley

Date: 08/18/17 17:33

Bill, did it look like the crushed marble business South of Delta has started yet? Short hoppers at
that transload facility?

Out

Date: 08/19/17 08:10

Rich ,I did not see any short hoppers.But ,thanks for your input.I always enjoy your vast knowledge of local operations throughout the US.Bill Webb

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0495 seconds