Home Open Account Help 341 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > UP Special at San Jose

Date: 09/12/17 12:43
UP Special at San Jose
Author: jimB

Thanks to a heads up from jmf1910, my usual source of timely info, caught the UP Coast Special PSLOA12 at San Jose this morning. He met AMTK 11 just South of here at Tamien.

1. Crossing the first of the new Los Gatos Creek bridges on temp track 2 at the South end of the San Jose depot, shot from San Carlos St.

2,3. Crossing from temp track 2 to depot track 1.

Apparently went via the Niles sub to Oakland, from where it will meander around Northern CA today to Sacramento, down to Lathrop, West over Altamont through Niles, to Newark and then back down the Coast, which if true will make for a long day!

Jim B

Date: 09/12/17 12:50
Re: UP Special at San Jose

Amtrak 11 departing San Jose just prior to the UP Special. With the bridge construction there is a short stretch of single track here.

Jim B

Date: 09/12/17 13:26
Author: knotch8

Nice photos. Thanks for posting them. Does the Capitol Corridor train in the left background have an engine on each end? Difficult to tell about the far end of the train.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/13/17 06:07 by knotch8.

Date: 09/12/17 13:29
Author: icancmp193

Equal opportunity on the UP Special power: 1 GE, 1 EMD.

TJY

Date: 09/12/17 13:33
Author: krm152

icancmp193 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Equal opportunity on the UP Special power: 1 GE, 1
> EMD.
>
> TJY

Looks to me like UP may try to equalize the use of units from the two builders on their specials.
ALLEN

Date: 09/12/17 13:51
Author: SCUfoamer

Jim,

Fantastic shots. San Carlos is really hard to beat. Would love to see a before and after of that bridge from the overpass.
This special was nice because it was so much longer than previous.

Date: 09/12/17 13:56

>Does the Capitol Corridor train in the left background have an engine on each end? Difficult to tell about the far end of the train

It does appear to have a P32 on the North end. I hadn't caught that, but looked at the original image and that is the case.

Jim B

Date: 09/12/17 14:17
Author: jmf1910

knotch8 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Does the Capitol Corridor train in the left
> background have an engine on each end? Difficult
> to tell about the far end of the train.

Yes, Trash-8 (P32) on the east end. Cab car shortage on the Capitols.

Date: 09/12/17 14:20
Author: jmf1910

Nicely done, Jim! The third shot is my favorite--love the snaking through Diridon.

I'm always happy to provide the heads ups, especially when you can catch these moves!

John

Date: 09/12/17 21:23
Author: cchan006

Second the "like" on the 3rd shot, of the Special snaking into San Jose Diridon.

Nice job getting across the street, Jim! (People who've been there know what I'm talking about)

Date: 09/13/17 09:08

>Nice job getting across the street...

The 10 MPH speed limit entering the station give you some additional time to get across, as does some construction on San Carlos which meters the traffic some. Still need to cross at the center of the bridge where you have a good view of traffic both ways. I'm not so agile anymore!

Needed you out there to make it a proper railfan event, Charles!

Jim B

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/13/17 09:09 by jimB.

Date: 09/13/17 20:32
Author: xrds72

Here are shots of the original Los Gatos Creek bridge from 2012, from track level

First one is looking back towards the station with San Carlos Ave overhead in the background

Second one is looking upstream (away from the station) along the creek

Date: 09/13/17 22:22

Interesting comparison. Be interesting to see how they restore the creek.

Jim B

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.1438 seconds