Home Open Account Help 379 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Old Santa Fe switchers from CSRM loaded on flat cars

Date: 10/11/17 21:15
Old Santa Fe switchers from CSRM loaded on flat cars
Author: crossbucks

A few weeks back I noticed that three of the Santa Fe switchers that were sitting under I5 at the old SP shops in Sacramento along with a primer painted B unit disappeared.
While driving to work last week I saw these engines along with some heavy duty flat cars sitting along the freeway where the two steam engines use to sit. Yesterday I drove over the tracks on the freeway and all four engines
were loaded on the flat cars does anybody know whats happening with these engines. I took these pictures in Stockton Ca back in 1986 when the equipment was on its way to Sac.

Date: 10/11/17 21:22
Re: Old Santa Fe switchers from CSRM loaded on flat cars
Author: MP555

Going to the Museum of the American Railroad in Frisco, TX.

Date: 10/11/17 21:37

Thank you for the answer I was afraid they were headed out to get scrapped. Hopefully they will take better care of these then CSRM did.

Date: 10/11/17 22:44
Author: railwaybaron

CSRM's acceptance of the Santa Fe collection was an act born of dubious museum ethics and the disgraceful guardianship that befell much of the collection became a permanent stain on the museum's reputation. Thank goodness that much of it has been piecemeal-ed out to smaller, focused institutions that hopefully will treasure the artifacts. The early management of the CSRM often took advantage of the collections to satisfy personal greed and gain. Consequently, once the museum opened, the state legislature turned its back on further funding for a long time. Originally envisioned for the stable land by at the former State Fairgrounds, the project was moved to so-called "Old Sacramento", a tacky, tourist honky-tonk along a flood-prone riverbank, to draw-off some of the Reno-San Francisco gambling/tourist trade into the local economy of the otherwise cultural wasteland that was Sacramento. This was done to reward powerful local State Senator Rodda. Nearly all the, in my opinion, "crooks" and "creeps" are dead now, so it is time to spread the remaining wealth of artifacts around to other deserving museums and get on with improving the CSRM within internationally accepted museum standards.

Date: 10/12/17 04:19
Author: csxtravis700

Does anyone have car numbers for the cars these engines are loaded on? Or know the routing to Frisco?

Thanks!

Date: 10/12/17 07:22
Author: CPRR

I couldn’t say it any better Railbaron....

Glad they are being cared for.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 10/12/17 10:39
Author: wpamtk

CPRR Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I couldn’t say it any better Railbaron....
>
> Glad they are being cared for.
>
> Posted from iPhone

Unfortunately, I must agree. I found it interesting just how small a part of Old Sacramento actually makes up the State Historic Park--basically just the museum buildings and the adjacent grassy area. The rest belongs to the worshipers of Mammon.

Date: 10/13/17 17:39

The car numbers are QTTX
131354 is loaded with the 508 FM switcher
131439 is loaded with the 2404 NW2
131368 is loaded with the 2260 Baldwin
131367 has the SP 8209 B Unit
went out today and took pictures was trying to post but file size to big trying ti figure out how to down size them

Date: 10/13/17 19:52
Author: EricSP

Save copies. If you have Office then you can resize them in Office Picture Manager.

Date: 10/13/17 21:42

here is the three SF units

Date: 10/13/17 21:48

And here is the SP 8209 B Unit
Guess when I tried cropping the pictures
it made the files bigger so reimported and used original
without cropping them

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0543 seconds