Home Open Account Help 280 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Yet another Siemens locomotive move . . .

Date: 04/20/18 10:12
Yet another Siemens locomotive move . . .
Author: Scone_Empire

With MARC having received all of their SC-44 'Chargers' from Siemens (for the time being), all that's left to move east are the remaining ACS-64 'Sprinters' from Siemens Sacramento, CA, based factory to SEPTA's home base in Philadelphia, PA. Three of those Sprinters trotted through the Salt Lake Valley this morning behind a pair of aged Union Pacific GE's. The train is bound for East St. Louis where it'll interchange with CSX to continue further east. Thus far, this is the third of these specials that I've seen, and those are the 4th, 5th & 6th Sprinters that I have seen make the trek between California and Pennsylvania.

Photo 1: The entire (and rather bizarre) trainset making the sweeping curve before crossing Vine St.
Photo 2: SEPTA ACS-64 'Sprinter' No. 908
Photo 3: SEPTA ACS-64 'Sprinter No. 907. Timing worked in my favor as the cloud cover slowly took away the sunlight the second (or fourth?) locomotive back.

Schon Norris
Salt Lake City, UT
Railroad Roll-By Podcast

Date: 04/20/18 10:14
Re: Yet another Siemens locomotive move . . .
Author: Scone_Empire

Photo 2: SEPTA ACS-64 'Sprinter' No. 908

That's all from me!

Schon Norris
Salt Lake City, UT
Railroad Roll-By Podcast

Date: 04/20/18 10:49
Author: spsunset

Nice catch . see
Date: 04/19/18 18:05
A One Way Trip Over Donner
from yesterday

Next?

Thanks Jim

Date: 04/20/18 13:08
Author: TomPlatten

They used to look very European to me but, strangely, They don't look so European anymore!

Date: 04/20/18 17:30
Author: hawkinsun

You're right, they do look rather foreign. Not only that, but they sure are Ugly. I'm sure they are functionally fine, but there is just something aesthetically unpleasant about them. It would seem to me, from a crew members viewpoint, there would be a lack of peripheral vision because of the heavy corner post at each side of the windshield. I realize that most of the crews attention should be focused forward, but it would seem like it would give you kind of tunnel vision after a while. I know they are not out there for a joy ride, but the side view seems quite restricted as well. Then there's the paint scheme, UGH ! It doesn't make them any faster or more fuel efficient, but boy, are they boring. I'm glad I got to see the 1950s Hiawathas, Daylights, and 400s. I like COLOR ! Even UP Yellow.

Craig Hanson
Vay, Idaho

Date: 04/20/18 18:09
Author: Lackawanna484

Florida's BrightLine has a very bright, yellow nose and side color scheme. Looks a little like the unit hit a paint truck at low speed.

I just figured that the wide corner and the divided windscreen was a feature of hardening a vintage European design for the more stringent US crash specifications. The electric units have a similar, though not quite so wide, front end.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0535 seconds