Home Open Account Help 325 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Re: Freight Car Friday: Cape and Son

Date: 06/15/18 08:20
Re: Freight Car Friday: Cape and Son
Author: Fiftyfooter

These new "Cape and Son" cars having been showing up in California alot these days!

So clean and fresh(even the tarps), a wonderful sight to help sooth sore grafitti eyes! Here is the story..........

Cape & Son was founded in 1952 in San Marcos, Texas by Horace Cape and his son J.M. The Cape family had interests in farming, cotton warehousing, and cotton ginning. The business was initially started as a brokerage firm, buying cottonseed for the oil milling industry in Central and South Texas. They quickly succeeded in building a reputation of honest dealing and high integrity in the oil milling and ginning industries.In the 1980’s, whole cottonseed began to be included in dairy rations as an excellent source of protein, fat, and fiber. Cape & Son recognized this opportunity and began merchandising cottonseed to the dairy markets of Texas.

Commmodities:

CANOLA MEAL
CORN
CORN GLUTEN FEED
COTTON BURRS
COTTONSEED HULLS
COTTONSEED MEAL
COTTONSEED OIL
DRIED DISTILLERS GRAINS
MILO
SOYBEAN HULL PELLETS
SOYBEAN MEAL
WHEAT
WHEAT MIDDS

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 06/15/18 09:14 by Fiftyfooter.

Date: 06/15/18 08:41
Author: hotrail

Interesting post. So where does the material in these cars typically originate and where is the destination now?

Date: 06/15/18 09:09
Author: Korigaoka1811

Best looking blue cars since Great Norther's Big Sky Blue.

John

Date: 06/15/18 09:26
Author: atsf121

Korigaoka1811 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Best looking blue cars since Great Norther's Big
> Sky Blue.
>
> John

Agreed

Date: 06/15/18 10:13
Author: cbk

I wonder if they could haul wood chips if the market came back. Thanks for the post.

Date: 06/15/18 12:08
Author: TCnR

They look like the older BCR wood chip cars. Very large with large structural cross beams under the middle section.

Wood chip traffic went away with paper mills, there are some left and there is some market for wood chips but it seems to be more of a local thing now, or regional RR thing. The big RR's don't seem to like to handle local business these days.

Date: 06/17/18 02:34
Author: Fizzboy7

I think it's so rare we see any new freight cars these days, these look a little more spectacular than they would normally appear. But I do agree, I love seeing these and it's nice to hear of the success story.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0423 seconds