Home Open Account Help 372 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > CN Collision Sawyer County WI

Date: 06/17/18 04:51
CN Collision Sawyer County WI
Author: Plowhandle

Any information on Canadian National collision yesterday near Rice Lake, Wi ?

https://drydenwire.com/news/press-release-train-collision-in-sawyer-county/

Date: 06/17/18 07:47
Re: CN Collision Sawyer County WI
Author: OldHeadRailroader

That is a location where the Superior-Stevens Point local makes pickups southbound quite often. Exeland elevator used to get fertilizer hoppers and gons, too. Is PTC in effect on CN at this location? I am assuming so. Hope the train crew has job insurance, very unfortunate. There are so many new hire engineers and conductors on that property, not to mention crew fatigue was probably a major factor. Scary!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/17/18 22:36 by OldHeadRailroader.

Date: 06/17/18 09:24
Author: DevalDragon

OldHeadRailroader Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Is PTC in effect on CN at this location? I am assuming so.

This type of collision is the thing that PTC would NOT allow to happen.

It's safe to say this is a non PTC subdivision.

Date: 06/17/18 09:34
Author: HotWater

DevalDragon Wrote:
> OldHeadRailroader Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Is PTC in effect on CN at this location? I am
> assuming so.
>
> This type of collision is the thing that PTC would
> NOT allow to happen.

Unless it happened at restricted speed.

> It's safe to say this is a non PTC subdivision.

Date: 06/17/18 10:15

It's a very busy transcon mainline, I think it's PTC equipped.

Posted from Android

Date: 06/17/18 11:19
Author: PHall

OldHeadRailroader Wrote:
> It's a very busy transcon mainline, I think it's
> PTC equipped.
>
> Posted from Android

Does Amtrak or any other passenger service run on this line?

Date: 06/17/18 11:32
Author: SOO6617

PHall Wrote:
> Does Amtrak or any other passenger service run on
> this line?

No.

Date: 06/17/18 13:03
Author: NebraskaZephyr

FWIW, I've been told by a CN employee that there is NO PTC active on ANY of the former WC, DW&P or DM&IR lines. The CN's PTC implementation team started down on the chemical coast in LA (where it was thought to be most pressing due to the amount of hazmat carried) and are working their way north on the IC, which hosts Amtrak service.

When they finally get to Chicago, I don't know if they will head up the GTW or the WC.

I sincerely doubt any the old IC Iowa Division will require PTC unless Amtrak ever starts using it to Dubuque. Ethanol is not among the commodities that trigger PTC installation.

NZ

Date: 06/17/18 15:31
Author: inCHI

Amazed and glad to hear that none of the crew has life-threatening injuries after seeing those pictures.

Date: 06/17/18 20:13
Author: EsPee1229

Seeing the photos, I wouldn't think restricted speed was in effect.

Date: 06/17/18 22:09
Author: brighteyes

NebraskaZephyr Wrote:
>
> I sincerely doubt any the old IC Iowa Division
> will require PTC unless Amtrak ever starts using
> it to Dubuque. Ethanol is not among the
> commodities that trigger PTC installation.
>
> NZ

While I don't doubt your sincerity, PTC antennas have popped up all over the CN Iowa Zone. So yes, it is coming, but I don't expect it on the secondary lines to Cedar Rapids, the Cedar River line, and such. But I cannot say on that for certain.

brighteyes

Date: 06/18/18 14:28
Author: justalurker66

A rear end collision. Yes, something that should not happen.

Dig around the FRA website and one can find the PTCIP (PTC implementation plan) for each railroad. That would help answer the question of what CN plans on doing with each line and when they plan on doing it. I expect the number of lines not to be equip for PTC to be minimal.

Date: 06/18/18 20:43

CN started putting up PTC radio towers around 2011 on the Neenah and Fox River Subs, I cannot believe it is still not in effect years later, but that's typical CN management, waiting until the 11th hour. The deadline is less than 6 months away and they still aren't even testing it yet on the busiest part of the railroad. Pathetic and appauling, this accident was 100% preventable.

Posted from Android

Date: 06/18/18 22:44
Author: IChogger77

A south bound 8000 ft Q train went by a restricting at 48 mph. On straight tangent track. Another SB Q train in front of them was 1000 ft past that restricting signal moving at 4 mph. The engineer on the striking Q was in dynamics. Set no air until he plugged the train. By the time they struck the other Q train they were travelling at 27 mph. They had an ex CNW/UP motor in the lead with an EX oakway/EMDX SD60 trailing. Very lucky to be alive. They overrode the equipment upon striking.

Date: 06/19/18 07:27

Wow. Sounds like either crew fatigue or a new hire with a lack of experience or not familiar with territory. Or both. Set the fkg air. That's about a .05% descending grade, but flattens out between Weirgor and Exeland. IRRC, the "approach" signal for Weirgor is just around/at the end of a sweeping right hand curve, but after is tangent for several miles as far as Exeland. Some articles mention Weirgor wildlife refuge, there is a lake on one side and a swamp on the other, and there is a curve within that strech as well as another at Lemington, the first station northward.

Any Engineer who is a afraid of using the air or doesn't understand how it works, doesn't belong in the right hand seat. Any such person is a lazy, dynamic brake dependent half ass modern 2000s Engineer. Was the mainline reopened? It pays to work safely and comply with the rule book!

Posted from Android

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/19/18 21:02 by OldHeadRailroader.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0598 seconds