Home Open Account Help 341 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Freight car Friday! Aberdeen and Rockfish R.R.

Date: 08/10/18 09:07
Freight car Friday! Aberdeen and Rockfish R.R.
Author: Fiftyfooter

"THE ROAD OF PERSONAL SERVICE"

The family-owned Aberdeen & Rockfish Railroad Co. is celebrating its 125th anniversary serving North Carolina’s Sandhills region. Still owned by the founding Blue family and headquartered in the same building since 1904, A&R claims consistent profitability through changing times, economics and traffic that has shifted from timber to agricultural crops to chemicals. 

Operating just 50 miles of track in the interior south-central part of North Carolina, the short line also was a vital link to Fort Bragg, transporting more than 500,000 soldiers during World War II and prompting the base commander to defend its zigzag route by saying, “Hitler’s bombers couldn’t hit it twice on a bet".

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/10/18 09:09 by Fiftyfooter.

Date: 08/10/18 13:56
Re: Freight car Friday! Aberdeen and Rockfish R.R.
Author: CSX602

That car was originally in the 1100 series on Aberdeen & Rockfish (1100-1139 if I recall correctly), but those cars were off the A&R roster by 1984 (a few years after delivery in 8-78)... 
Some are still around with MWCX, AEX, ITLX, BTRX and CGRX marks, but likely 3+ decades past being on A&R.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/10/18 14:05 by CSX602.

Date: 08/11/18 06:34
Re: Freight car Friday! Aberdeen and Rockfish R.R.
Author: Hookdragkick

A road less traveled now. Interesting find. I can't say I've seen one before.

Posted from Android

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0337 seconds