Home Open Account Help 307 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Disturbing Picture

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

Date: 09/21/18 06:06
Disturbing Picture
Author: BlackWidow

I live in the Houston area, and I found this picture in a local circular.  It was created by a photography firm advertising their services.  Obviously, this is a staged shot, but it is promoting an incredibly dangerous activity, not to mention trespassing.  I know there has been discussion recently of rail themed pictures with people sitting on the tracks as part of the background for their pictures, and at least one case of a death occuring when a person was hit by a train in a situation like this.  It makes you wonder what is going through their minds to pose a shot like this.  I think the bottom line is that for most people these days, railroads are so far from the consciousness that they don't see any problems, and danger or any legal issues with doing something like this.

Date: 09/21/18 06:42
Re: Disturbing Picture
Author: BN6339

Maybe UP would be interested in seeing/following up on the source of this photo? 

Date: 09/21/18 06:50
Author: walstib

Rear DPU of a stopped train?

Posted from iPhone

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/21/18 06:52 by walstib.

Date: 09/21/18 06:58
Author: g-spotter1

Headlights off.  Likely idling power.  Very juvenile theme.

Date: 09/21/18 07:00
Author: walstib

Subject matter aside, it’s not a very good picture.

Posted from iPhone

Date: 09/21/18 07:10
Author: Bob3985

Appears to be a FRED on the locomotive.

Bob Krieger
Cheyenne, WY

Date: 09/21/18 07:13
Author: stevelv

BN6339 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Maybe UP would be interested in seeing/following
> up on the source of this photo? 

I'm sure UP could pursue charges for trespassing and using their corporate image without permission if they wanted to.  The least they could do is identify the people who published this photo and publicly shame them for being stupid and  making dumb ass decisions.

Date: 09/21/18 07:54
Author: CNW8531

These are the kind of people that will sue the railroad (and win) if they get hurt in any way.  Or their families will if they don't survive.  

Date: 09/21/18 07:59
Author: CZ10

Don't forget the sad case of the movie crew last year in Georgia.  CSX denied permission to
film, crew filmed anyway.  An actress was struck and killed.  Family sued, CSX was ordered
to pay over 3 million!  https://www.usatoday.com/story/life/movies/2017/07/18/jury-railroad-to-pay-39m-for-train-death-of-film-worker/103790804/

Date: 09/21/18 08:21
Author: Hookdragkick

Drop Dead Fred II

Posted from Android

Date: 09/21/18 08:33
Author: UPNW2-1083

I saw this magazine the other day. I can't get over the ignorance of these people.-BMT

Date: 09/21/18 08:45
Author: Lackawanna484

Union Pacific often takes a dim view of other companies using their trademarked corporate livery (colors and insignia) in advertising.

I'd expect a nasty cease and desist letter would follow.

Date: 09/21/18 08:48
Author: randgust

Seriously, I'd send it to UP.  And identify yourself as an industry booster concerned for safety.  They don't take this stuff lightly at all.    Here's the public affairs contacts for various regions:  https://www.up.com/aboutup/community/community_contacts/index.htm

Remember the car (Acura ?) ad a few years back that had the car at the grade crossing that 'challenged' the train and the train stopped instead of the car?  I turned that into Operation Lifesaver and they had the ad pulled, nationwide.  

UP has their own campaign going against doing selfies on the track:  https://www.up.com/aboutup/community/inside_track/selfie-tragedy-12-7-2016.htm

They'll have little sympathy for a local photographer even using a 'stopped' train as an advertising prop.

Date: 09/21/18 09:27
Author: BAB

I agree with all of the above noticed the FRED so it was stopped. But on the UP web site is a very disturbing set of photos showing three sisters I think they were taking a selfie with an engine at speed in the back ground. It was the last photo of them alive according to UP all three were killed. It was on there safety page a year ago.

Date: 09/21/18 09:54
Author: Hookdragkick

Who noticed Fred wasn't laced up?

Posted from Android

Date: 09/21/18 10:48
Author: CBRL

Visual images like tracks going out to the horizon or the complex shadows of railroad bridges are very tempting to photographers, amateur and professional - almost a cliché.  I guess it's because you have a solid framework to place your subject into, but it seems a bit lazy to me.  I have seen too many "professional" photographers putting themselves and their subjects in mortal danger just to get a stock photo.  The woman on the film crew killed shooting on the bridge without permission was such a needless tragedy. 
From an aestheric standpoint, working within strict boundaries can spur the imagination.  We foamers have been (mostly) doing this forever.  The railroads are a lot less accessible than they used to be, and yet we still shoot and get great shots with a bit of imagination and hard work without endangering our lives. 

Tom Trent
Eugene, OR

Date: 09/21/18 12:49
Author: wa4umr

I usually tell people that if they want to take photos on the tracks, go to the railway museum.  For one thing, they will usually give you permission to be on their tracks.  The railroads won't be doing that.  The museum also usually offers other possibilities such as an old locomotive, a caboose, or maybe a hand car to use in the background or as a prop.

John

Date: 09/21/18 12:54
Author: RS11

Has anyone who has ever filed a complaint on this type of behavior ever heard back anything other than "blowing you off?"  This kind of thing has been going on since at least 1960 when I walked the tracks, hopped trains and did other stupid stuff.  I just don't believe all this wailing does any good and for the most part the railroads don't seem to care.
Pile on. 

Date: 09/21/18 12:59
Author: Spoony81

RS11 Wrote:
> Has anyone who has ever filed a complaint on this
> type of behavior ever heard back anything other
> than "blowing you off?"  This kind of thing has
> been going on since at least 1960 when I walked
> the tracks, hopped trains and did other stupid
> stuff.  I just don't believe all this wailing
> does any good and for the most part the railroads
> don't seem to care.
> Pile on. 

Railroads do care, probably more then ever. I see constant postings on social media by the railroads warning of the dangers of being on the tracks and photographers taking pictures on the tracks

Date: 09/21/18 13:01
Author: RS11

Spoony81 Wrote:
> RS11 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Has anyone who has ever filed a complaint on
> this
> > type of behavior ever heard back anything other
> > than "blowing you off?"  This kind of thing
> has
> > been going on since at least 1960 when I walked
> > the tracks, hopped trains and did other stupid
> > stuff.  I just don't believe all this wailing
> > does any good and for the most part the
> railroads
> > don't seem to care.
> > Pile on. 
>
> Railroads do care, probably more then ever. I see
> constant postings on social media by the railroads
> warning of the dangers of being on the tracks and
> photographers taking pictures on the tracks

You don't think they are just covering their butts?

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0933 seconds