Home Open Account Help 315 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Crossing Cross Creek

Date: 11/20/18 20:40
Crossing Cross Creek
Author: santafe199

I’ve been without wheels for a few days, but today I sprung Willie III out of the Schroll Paint & Body place downtown. It took an official-looking piece of paper with my bank’s official-looking logo on it. And I officially tried not to get light-headed looking at how many numbers made up the main line of print. Gee willikers guys, it was just a couple of dings…

Anyhow I was so happy to be mobile again I took Willie out to see if he remembered how to look for trains. I didn’t need to worry about that because, like a champ he caught up with an EB manifest next to US hwy 24 east of Wamego. Me n’ Willie fell right back into our old chasing ways and birddogged the train over to Rossville. For most railfans I was out of shooting light. But you should know by now that never stops Willie n’ me…

1. UP 8072 is about to enter the Cross Creek bridge on the west edge of Rossville, KS. It’s 6:21 PM on November 20, 2018 (just over 4 hours ago… :^).

Thanks for looking!
Lance Garrels
santafe199

Date: 11/20/18 21:02
Re: Crossing Cross Creek
Author: gonx

Just an amazing shot!

You really know how to capture good stuff. 

Date: 11/20/18 21:04
Author: DynamicBrake

FANTASTIC shot Lance...you really nailed this one!  The bridge really stands out.  Thanks for sharing.

Kent in CArmel Valley

Date: 11/20/18 21:06
Author: stevelv

Good story and great shot Lance.  Bonus points from me as I am also an aficionado of bridges.
Steve B.

Date: 11/20/18 21:36
Author: mg8711

Good ol’ MTPTP is quite reliable for a sunset/late afternoon shot this time of year and that shows here. Glad you’re back out and free.
mg8711

Date: 11/21/18 06:15
Author: Gonut1

Great siloutte shot! You even squeezed a train into it.
you and Willie done good.
Gonut

Date: 11/21/18 07:20
Author: bobdavis

Add I can add to the other comments is a huge AMEN!  What an amazing pic!

Bob

Date: 11/21/18 07:33
Author: bmarti7

Gonut1 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Great siloutte shot! You even squeezed a train
> into it.
> you and Willie done good.

Agreed - Lance could put on a seminar on f stops, aperture, etc. on "how to" take the best sunset shots.

BB

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/21/18 08:26 by bmarti7.

Date: 11/21/18 13:54
Author: bobk

Great shot!

Date: 11/21/18 14:29
Author: santafe199

Earlier today I had a good friend & fellow ex-Santa Fe man send me a PM. He said (and I quote): "Give me the details on how you took that one!" I've had all afternoon to consider how to answer. So here goes (think John Wayne imitation):

"Well... I gotta tell ya, pilgrim. It weren't no Sunday picnic! Me n' Willie were on this reconnaissance mission, see? When we found this train making slow progress we went after a photo skirmish from safe cover, like the high-ground, Highway 24 overpass west of Belvue. Then we slipped through town, got ahead of, and ambushed him from behind some farm equipment east of Belvue. But our determined foe slipped right through that perimeter. We had one ploy left. At St Marys we pulled off a risky end-around and forged on ahead to attempt some kind of flanking maneuver at Rossville. We had 2 advantages. The growing darkness and a grove of trees that would give complete cover until we could strike a decisive blow. Me 'n Willie reached Rossville and scouted around. We found our spot and dug in, waiting to spring the trap. I had to take Willie slightly off-road to line up for the kill shot. I had my weapon loaded with 400 ISO with a fast shutter. I shot off a couple of preliminary test frames. A bit dark, but good to go! With only one hand on the trigger I had to reach over with my other hand to roll down Willie's right-side gun-port. And we waited out the tense moments. Then at the very second of arrival I leaned into it, re-framed my shots and fired a 6 round burst. Success! Now all me n' Willie had to do was make it safely back to camp, and run the digital data through secret Photoshop decoding. The results are now posted. And I tell ya what, pilgrim, I'd do it all again in a heartbeat... 

Sgt Stryker (not)

Date: 11/21/18 18:28
Author: upkpfan

Lance,
How and what did you hit with your car? upkpfan

Date: 11/21/18 22:11
Author: Ritzville

Really NICE sunset shot with a couple of nice amenities. Happy Thanksgiving!

Larry

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.067 seconds