Home Open Account Help 226 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > MRL Helena yard east expansion status

Date: 12/07/18 12:44
MRL Helena yard east expansion status
Author: steeplecab

I had a chance to check on the status of the MRL Helena east end yard expansion today and thought I'd share a photo. With the continuing increase in traffic, Helena seems to get backed up pretty seriously with traffic at certain times of the day, and part of MRL's solution is to expand the capacity of the Helena yard. The main body of the yard is limited by the I-15 overpass, so they're adding tracks adjacent to the east end Long Lead. The low winter sun in the photo enhances the track locations.

For those familiar with the area, this was taken from the US 12 overpass east of Helena. In the distance to the west you can see the I-15 bridge, and the next crossing just visible is Carter Street. On the left is a line of disturbed ballast with a switch remaining on it. This was the shoo-fly used while the dirt work was done on the heavy cut and fill required. It's worth noting that the south (left) main is well clear of the next nearest track, allowing plenty of clearance for high-wide loads such as the regular Boeing 737 fuselages.

Dano
Helena

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/07/18 13:31 by steeplecab.

Date: 12/07/18 14:43
Re: MRL Helena yard east expansion status
Author: Tnovitske

Nice photo. Quite impressive. 

Date: 12/07/18 15:12
Author: PHall

Dual Control switches?

Date: 12/07/18 20:11
Author: railstiesballast

That wide track spacing also helps provide a safe workplace for people switching in the yard while main line traffic passes and for MofW employees either on the main line or in the yard.
It is a smart design here with plenty of real estate.

Date: 12/07/18 22:31
Author: steeplecab

> That wide track spacing also helps provide a safe workplace for people switching in the yard

This extension is for parking whole trains waiting for crews or for time to move. Switching will primarily continue in the main yard nearer the depot. I suspect that power will continue to be moved to the roundhouse area for fueling needed, while the roundhouse trucks will drive out to the long leads to inspect and sign cards.

Date: 12/08/18 17:50
Author: isambard

So nice to see a rail yard expanding rather than one where tracks have been removed.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0363 seconds