Home Open Account Help 339 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Running around, chasing locals delaying Amtrak

Date: 12/12/18 16:20
Running around, chasing locals delaying Amtrak
Author: roustabout

The sun was out today and UP's Kraft Switcher, based out of Salem, went trundling by so I gave chase with hopes of getting it at a specific location.  They had gone south to Harrisburg, which blew the shot I wanted, but in the process of waiting for them I found P&W's American Turn still headed north from Harrisburg to the mill at American (images 1 - 2 at Substation Road and #3 at Nixon Road).

Date: 12/12/18 16:24
Re: Running around, chasing locals delaying Amtrak

AFter catching the P&W (and waving to the conductor who was a new hire while I was an engineer there) I bounced back to find the Kraft finally getting back to its train of four cars in Alford Siding.  But, in the distance you can almost see #14 creaping up to the red 'A' at the north end of Alford and finally got the green to fly north once the Kraft was in the clear.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/12/18 16:31 by roustabout.

Date: 12/12/18 16:30

The Kraft eventually followed (a safe distance behind) #14, heading north to Millersburg in the Albany area to do more work.  Here they are approaching the burg of Halsey. My hope was to catch them departing Halsey siding after doing work on the American lead, utilizing a new-ish signal that UP installed to control their movement through the hand-throw crossovers at Halsey (image 3).

Date: 12/12/18 16:57
Author: icancmp193

#6 nicely framed. Like #8 too!

TJY

Date: 12/12/18 19:59
Author: HH

Wow, Lou, #6 is a darned fine image.
That looks like smoke in the Coburg Hills beyond the train in image #7.

HH

Date: 12/12/18 20:00
Author: TCnR

Looks like they had some extra parts in the box when they put that signal together. Or maybe the drawing was folded funny.
Interesting area, lots of history, small towns, old farms and buildings.
t4p.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/12/18 20:02 by TCnR.

Date: 12/13/18 14:57

HH Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Wow, Lou, #6 is a darned fine image.
> That looks like smoke in the Coburg Hills beyond
> the train in image #7.
>
> HH

Yup, there were slash burning over in the hills.  We watched a burn several weeks ago at night that was real interesting to see from our house, that and the local fire department's practice burns.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.044 seconds