Home Open Account Help 370 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Brrrr!

Date: 01/21/19 10:35
Brrrr!
Author: twjurgens

A check of the Amtrak website this morning showed that #6 would be 5 hours and 20 minutes late into Lincoln, NE.  A friend called and said that he'd seen the train in Crete and it had a UP leader.  According to social media chatter, the train encountered a car on the tracks near Reno and an emergency brake application left the lead engine with flat wheels, so the UP engine replaced it at Sparks.  In case you haven't been watching national weather, it's COLD in Lincoln this morning.  The car thought it was 10 above but the wind chill had to be MUCH lower.  Not that I'm a weather wimp or anything like that but, these mornings are better spent inside! Just east of Waverly seemed like a good spot for this morning's photo location....not too much of a drive and I could set in the warm Explorer until the last minute.  UP 4382 and Amtrak 53 came along  about 9:15, well over 5 hours late, with the tardy #6.  

Date: 01/21/19 10:52
Re: Brrrr!
Author: bmarti7

Nice catch Tom - thanks for posting.

BB

Date: 01/21/19 10:57
Author: Ritzville

Nice series! Thanks for braving the COLD!

Larry

Date: 01/21/19 12:19
Author: santafe199

Nice job, Tom! But I gotta say I know I have entered a very jaded frame of mind when I look at a photo and see the cold "Brrrr" conditions the photographer must have gone through to get it. But when I have to take a second look to see the freight power leading a very late train, it becomes apparent that Amtrak's ongoing woeful state of power deficiency is now the rule rather than the exception...

Willie W

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/21/19 18:18 by santafe199.

Date: 01/21/19 12:43
Author: twjurgens

I heard that Amtrak was ordering more power.....some 70 engines from Siemens, I believe.  They need It!

Getting the shots of the switchers yesterday morning, it became clear that gloves were put in my pocket for a purpose.  Didn't think I'd need them since "I'd only be out for a minute or two!".  Wonder where the wisdom that supposedly comes with age is:)

santafe199 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Nice job, Tom! But I gotta say I know I have
> entered a very jaded frame of mind when I look at
> a photo and see the cold "Brrrr" conditions the
> photographer must have gone through to get it. But
> when I have to take a second look to see
> the freight power leading a very later train, it
> becomes apparent that Amtrak's ongoing woeful
> state of power deficiency is now the rule rather
> than the exception...
>
> Willie W

Date: 01/21/19 17:57
Author: SP8595

Nice catch and shots!

Date: 01/21/19 19:17
Author: upkpfan

Tom,
Good catch. Check the numbers as a couple are switched around. I guess the computer made you do it. Keep the snow and cold up your way. upkpfan

Date: 01/22/19 08:15
Author: ntharalson

About Amtrak motive power:  Many of the midwest routes have the Siemans "Charger" locomotives on them, which eases the pressure
on the need for P42/40's.  Amtrak has returned some of the P40's to service after having them stored for several years.  Yet, they continue
to have failures and be short of "useable" power.  This may say more to Amtrak's maintenance policies than GE's reliability, but what it says
isn't good in either case.  

Good catch, Tom, thanks for posting.  

Nick Tharalson,
Marion, IA

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0722 seconds