Home Open Account Help 225 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Grabbing some winter sun

Date: 02/03/19 17:46
Grabbing some winter sun
Author: CBRL

We have had a few breaks from the clouds over the past 10 days that I was able to take advantage of.

1. Here is a UP manifest led by UP 8370 heading north out of Eugene, OR at Milliron Road on the 25th.

2. Almost had a meet between the UP local on the near track and the PNWR local on the far track on the 29th north of Junction City.

3. On the 30th I caught UP 7089 heading south at Fall Creek Junction with the Willamette River on the far left.

Three more.

Tom Trent
Eugene, OR

Date: 02/03/19 17:52
Re: Grabbing some winter sun

4. WRIX 1360 and two other switchers cross the Long Tom River just west of Veneta, OR.  This is a Coos Bay Rail train pulling the loaded lumber to Eugene from the mill at Noti.  So fresh the smell was overpowering!

5. UP 8850 heading south at Natron with some kind of ore or dirt train.  Anyone know?  And many thanks to the jerk who parked his blue car in the field of view just as I was getting my shot.

6. UP 8760 leading the CORP 508 hauler from Eugene to Roseburg with a CORP unit fourth in consist.  This is at Dillard Road crossing north of Creswell, OR.  Love the jointed rail and old code lines.

Tom Trent
Eugene, OR

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/03/19 17:54 by CBRL.

Date: 02/03/19 18:27

Thanks.  I always try and catch the southbound CORP train in the afternoon when the light is better.  The storm behind the CORP train arrived about a half hour later with very heavy rain and hail. There was a lot of contrast in the first picture - Winter sun is very harsh.  Actually had to turn down the contrast in post on a few of the shots. 

Tom Trent
Eugene, OR

Date: 02/04/19 05:53
Author: texchief1

Nice shots, Tom!  I shoot Shutter speed priority and I never have to adjust for exposure on sunny days.  It's the cloudy days that I have trouble as the ditch lights lower the exposure. I try to set my focusing point in between the ditch ights.  Don't have this trouble unless it is straight on shot.

Randy Lundgren
Elgin, TX

Date: 02/04/19 08:35

Randy,

Thanks.  The sky here in Oregon is grey around 9 months a year, and I have to do everything manually by framing a shot and then checking the exposure in the brightest and darkest areas to make sure nothing gets wiped out.  My camera is prone to getting blown out highlights and I can't completely depend on it to get the exposure correct during the cloudy months.  Headlights are a problem and I accept they will be a little overexposed, but my main concern is with flare, especially with my ancient Nikon 70-210.  As long as there is a little sun it's not an issue, but the little bit of sun seldom comes at the right time! (like yesterday)

Tom Trent
Eugene, OR

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/04/19 08:38 by CBRL.

Date: 02/04/19 10:38
Author: endmrw

Anxious to hear what someone thinks is in the Gondola Train.  Also have never seen a situation to preclude lost of material. (tarping each and every car). Looks to be manual and not motorized as some over the road dump trucks have.  Mike. endmrw0204191239

Date: 02/04/19 10:57
Author: SP8100

CBRL Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> 4. WRIX 1360 and two other switchers cross the
> Long Tom River just west of Veneta, OR.  This is
> a Coos Bay Rail train pulling the loaded lumber to
> Eugene from the mill at Noti.  So fresh the smell
> was overpowering!
>
> 5. UP 8850 heading south at Natron with some kind
> of ore or dirt train.  Anyone know?  And many
> thanks to the jerk who parked his blue car in the
> field of view just as I was getting my shot.

CBRL,

This was an empty copper concentrate, hence the covered tarps on the cars..    As for the routing, it is not a priority move back to Wendover, UT..   So, it can go straight east from Portland or it can go south via Roseville and Donner Pass to UT..

See spwolfmtn's post in this TO thread..   https://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?1,4636937,4637012#msg-4637012

SP8100

Date: 02/04/19 11:02
Author: spwolfmtn

endmrw Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Anxious to hear what someone thinks is in the
> Gondola Train.  Also have never seen a situation
> to preclude lost of material. (tarping each and
> every car). Looks to be manual and not motorized
> as some over the road dump trucks have.  Mike.
> endmrw0204191239

Looks like the empty copper concentrate train from Vancouver WA heading back to Wendover UT.  The loaded version of these trains runs up north from Salt Lake, then west through Idaho and Oregon over the Blue Mtns.

There has been considerable talk about these trains on here over the past few years if one is looking for more info.

Date: 02/04/19 11:29

SP8100 and spwolfmtn - thanks for the background on the ore trains.  I seem to remember catching that train around Chiloquin on the Cascade line a couple of summers ago.  Resource extraction is sure a fickle business.

Tom Trent
Eugene, OR

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0672 seconds