Home Open Account Help 323 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > IL IA NE MO roadtrip planned from 3/26. Should I risk it?

Date: 03/20/19 05:39
IL IA NE MO roadtrip planned from 3/26. Should I risk it?
Author: 37176

I'm picking up a rental car next week, planning on heading west from Chicago for lineside photography. I was gonn a follow US30 from Clinton, IA to Gibbon, NE then the Marysville sub to KC and Merceline Sub back east. A lot of these routes are currebtly under flood nwater. It's difficult to figure out which routes on the UP/BNSF are still closed and how long they will take to restore. For a foreigner, I still know these areas pretty well but any advice from locals is most welcome, please? I'll be aiming to visit these areas from 3/26 to 4/4. Surely, much of the water will have receded by then?

I have a particular thing for photographing trains on bridges. Here are a trio of previous bridge shots on the routes.

Image 01: Plattesmouth, NE
Image 02: Blair, NE (taken from Iowa side)
Image 03: Blair, NE (from the Nebraska side)

Rugby
UK

Date: 03/20/19 06:55
Re: IL IA NE MO roadtrip planned from 3/26. Should I risk it?
Author: KimHeusel

I'd go for it but maybe reverse your route and hit the UP last instead of first. According to an earlier post, Columbus Sub on the UP may not be back in service until March 27. That would mean no trains east of Gibbon on that route until at least that date. Sounds like a great trip. Good luck in whatever you decide.

Kim Heusel

Date: 03/20/19 07:52
Author: bmarti7

With so many bridges out and roadbed repairs, it's hard to predict. So here's a thought: Head northwest to Savanna, IL and follow the BNSF along the Mississippi. Lots of detours are already scheduled through Wyoming to Montana, then eastward through North Dakota and Minnesota. This includes ethanol trains, now in the southwest US, coal trains, both directions, that would normally go through Lincoln.

The other thought: Head southwest to Kansas City. Lots of detours going that way as well.

BB

Date: 03/20/19 08:27
Author: MILW86A

Try the Iowa Interstate. They are open and are hosting a few BNSF detours(mostly empty coal trains) from the Quad Cities to the Bluffs.

CN too is open across Iowa except closed from Dension to the Bluffs. Most traffic goes towards Sioux City anyway.

UP is open in Iowa and CP, with the exception of the Marquette Sub, has had no troubles as of yet.

MILW86A

Date: 03/20/19 09:08
Author: jlcKS

West of Omaha is really dicey right now.  Lots of areas will be underwater, according to the local press and weather service, and there have been washouts occurring even when the flood waters recede because of the road bed getting washed away.  I have people in Nebraska sending pictures every day of the devastation.

Date: 03/20/19 09:15
Author: rfdatalink

I would probaby avoid going that far west.    The railroad may be open by the time you arrive, but the roads will be in bad shape and I would guess your ability to move around and get good photos may be limited.   If you don't go any further west than central Iowa/KC you would probalby be better off.   Some suggestions that include bridges:
Savanna/Sabula
Clinton (traffic might be light)
Davenport
Fort Madison
Boone Kate Shelly bridge (traffic could be light)
Foster bridges near Moravia Iowa have light traffic, but good photos when you can.

From what I've seen I would avoid the Omaha / Plattsmouth / Pacific Junction area.   Even if the railroads are open the communities and roads will still be in recovery mode and not receptive to visitors. 

Stephen

Date: 03/20/19 09:44
Author: traingeek087

As of last night the Nebraska National Guard was checking I.D.'s for anyone wanting to go west of Columbus on US30. This entire area is a mess and I would avoid it unless you need to be there.

Traingeek087

Date: 03/20/19 09:56
Author: kevink

To add to your challenges, flooding is occuring along the Mississippi as well. The river is currently predicted to crest sometime next week at Dubuque, IA and it can be expected that locations downstream will crest afterwards.
I've seen a picture of the CP Chicago-Milwaukee Main with water up the rails at the Reeseville Marsh between Milwaukee and Portage, WI.

Date: 03/20/19 10:56
Author: DJ-12

It's worth keeping in mind that unless you already have hotels booked, these might be hard to come by if there are large numbers of people displaced from their homes, contruction workers or other folks who need lodging. In general it sounds like a bad time to be in the area.

Date: 03/20/19 12:13
Author: LX15840

I would definitely head for the Kansas City area.....in normal times it is busy....but with BNSF and UP detours, it might be even busier. One factor would be Ft Madison IA where the transcon crosses the Mississippi.....it has been impacted in the past by high water.

Date: 03/20/19 14:58

Thanks for all the replies. Not being familiar with the diversions, I’ve found your advice invaluable. I think the suggestion of following the BNSF to KC first is probably best.

Keep it coming. Any updates will be appreciated.

Rugby
UK

Posted from iPhone

Date: 03/21/19 18:26
Author: ns1000

Nice shots!!

Date: 03/22/19 03:12

ns1000 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Nice shots!!

Thanks. I tend to sacrifice quantity over quality, sitting in one spot for hours to get the best shot. Worth the risk to get more?

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0501 seconds