Home Open Account Help 327 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > I sure could use a train! (vol #19)

Date: 03/22/19 07:27
I sure could use a train! (vol #19)
Author: santafe199

I’ve visited Uncle Pete 5 times in the last 6 days. With all of the flooding going on up in Nebraska his KC ~ Topeka ~ Marysville main line has all of a sudden become ground zero for all kinds of extra reroute action. The KP and the GSR through Kansas have seen some reroutes as well, but the vast majority of this bonanza is on the Kansas Sub which normally runs mostly eastbound directional traffic.

Below is another in my series about a scene that really needs a train. I knew a westbound train was out of Topeka, headed this way. The sun is dancing with the rolling hills to the west. But this beautiful golden color will be gone before that train makes it to this spot. As railfan photographers we all go through this kind of frustration. So I like to do the next best thing: poke a bit of light-hearted fun at the situation.

The up-side is that reroutes are expected to last at least another week, maybe longer depending on the source. And this photo-op location is a mere 40 minutes from my driveway. As General Douglas McArthur famously said: “I shall return!

1. It’s 7:19 PM and sunset is just minutes away at Grove, KS on Union Pacific’s Kansas Sub. Looking east at the NW 70th St/NW Valencia Rd crossing (take your pick).
Photo date: March 21, 2019.

Nice try!
Lance Garrels
santafe199

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 03/22/19 07:30 by santafe199.

Date: 03/22/19 08:16
Re: I sure could use a train! (vol #19)
Author: Ritzville

Your sunset shot has a NICE serene look to it.

Larry

Date: 03/22/19 08:31

Ritzville Wrote: > ... NICE serene look ...

Ah yes... but looks are deceiving in this case. In that watery ditch there were a trainload of those tiny little frogs that croak REALLY LOUD. And they were all croaking in hundred-eleventy-seven part harmony...

Lance

Date: 03/22/19 15:03
Author: WichitaJct

I know the feeling. 

Date: 03/23/19 08:17
Author: texchief1

We will be waiting, Lance!

Randy Lundgren

Date: 03/23/19 08:22

texchief1 Wrote: > ... We will be waiting ...

I took another shot at it yesterday. Plenty of trains, but it went overcast on me from about 4:30 on...

:^(

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0347 seconds