Home Open Account Help 353 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Coal silos coming down in Denver

Date: 04/07/19 23:12
Coal silos coming down in Denver
Author: dan

https://www.9news.com/article/news/local/next/rio-grande-co-silos-slated-for-demolition/73-2376440f-0b1b-4359-bec4-fd5c3e9fc8fa?fbclid=IwAR1BFEhshtT3JyeAfhnfYku5AjVG2_0BjTqkJD9czYzECXXFB-ph60ydjBY

these weren't supplying steam engines i think , but owned by the railroad holding company, Rio grande industries I believe, inactive for years, but still adjacent to the rio grande main south of burnham.

If we  want to save the Burnham shops, perhaps we should speak up, before  a demo permit is issued, once requested 21 days is the comment period, to the Denver landmark commission.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/07/19 23:20 by dan.

Date: 04/09/19 07:17
Re: Coal silos coming down in Denver
Author: rnb3

Those coal silos are truly an industrial icon of the "old south Denver" skyline, especially for those railfans of the Burnham Shop communities.  But...aside from similar names, and I'm sure a railroad spur, there isn't any corporate railroad history connected to the Rio Grande railroads (RGW, D&RGW, DRGW, or RG Industries).  As far as historical preservation, they are private property of a currently (for over a hundred years!) active business;

I don't agree that they should be preserved if the owners doesn't want to.  Same goes for Burnham Shops.  The fact is, it's railroad days are over.  That train has left the station and ain't ever coming back!  I miss it, and the activity that once was there.  I miss the Rio Grande railroad and it's small town, hardworking, proud image.  I miss the old Denver atmosphere all together, but that time is over and life marches on!  There will be new memories!  One of my favorite days of all time was a Coors Field trip with my daughter; her first trip!  We had seats just inside the right field "fair pole", second deck, on the railing.  The whole park was below us, great view!  Never for a minute would I give that up, even though we were standing on ground that one time in history was in important railroad yard in Denver.

Thanks to the OP for highlighting the news article!  At least this piece of history won't go into history without some notice!

Rick Bacon
Windsor, CO

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0326 seconds