Home Open Account Help 296 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Road Trip - Day 1

Date: 04/14/19 07:11
Road Trip - Day 1
Author: bmarti7

Sundays are work days for me until 1 pm. So I got away from Bismarck around 3. With daylight savings time I planned on shooting several trains as I headed eastward from Bismarck to Dilworth. A friend advised me that there were seven westbounds scheduled on the Jamestown Sub. My first catch was at Driscoll with a westbound empty coal train going around a westbound, loaded grainer. Between Sterling and Jamestown as passed three more westbounds however all were far away as roads don't closely follow the tracks in that stretch.

After Jamestown I was able to more-closely follow the Jamestown Sub. I caught the next westbound at Spiritwood. While there I shot the DMVW Underwood-Spiritwood coal shuttle. Next I headed to Valley City, where the BNSF crosses the Sheyenne River and the CP Portal Sub on a high bridge. I decided to hang out there, hoping for a train on the bridge. I had shot the bridge before but never with a train - a shot on my "bucket list". I was going to stay until dark but only had to wait 30 minutes. Thanks for looking and I hope you enjoy. The saga will continue in the coming days.

BB

1. BNSF 6018 West crosses the west switch at Driscoll with coal empties headed to the PRB for a refill.
2. BNSF 8997 West, with the G-HNFLVW, sits in the Driscoll siding
3. BNSF 6741 West, with the G-CLFKAL. passes the ethanol plant at Spiritwood.

Date: 04/14/19 07:20
Re: Road Trip - Day 1
Author: bmarti7

4. DMVW 5418 & 5439 parked at the Spiritwood Power Station with covered coal hoppers. The DMVW brings the train from Underwood to Great River Jct, on the east side of Bismarck, where BNSF crews take the train to Spiritwood.
5-6. BNSF 7680 West leads coal empties across the high bridge at Valley City, ND, just as the sun is setting. Check one of my bucket list!

Date: 04/14/19 07:46
Author: rrartist

I sure like the DMVW image, that appears to on my bucket list....now! Glad to see you made it home safely 😇

Posted from iPhone

Date: 04/14/19 09:29
Author: Ritzville

Looks like a great start to your trip Bill. I too like the DMVW units. Glad you were finally able to catch a train on the High Bridge, looking good!

Larry

Date: 04/14/19 15:23
Author: Quakerengr

Very nice.  Especially glad you able to snag that train at Valley City on the high bridge!!!  Looking forward to your next installments!!!

Pat

Date: 04/14/19 19:18
Author: yorknl

bmarti7 Wrote:

> 2. BNSF 8997 West, with the G-HNFLVW, sits in the Driscoll siding
> 3. BNSF 6741 West, with the G-CLFKAL. passes the ethanol plant at Spiritwood.

Does anyone know if there's a usual route to Sandpoint used by trains originating on the ex-NP somewhere between Fargo & Billings that are headed for the Pacific Northwest ports?  That is, do they normally go via MRL and Missoula, an all-BNSF routing through Great Falls, or is each train essentially routed at random?  Thanks-

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/14/19 19:19 by yorknl.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0563 seconds