Home Open Account Help 311 users online

Western Railroad Discussion > Yogi said it: “It's late EARLY out there!”

Date: 04/17/19 10:37
Yogi said it: “It's late EARLY out there!”
Author: santafe199

The late, great Yogi Berra once made a comment on the afternoon shadows in Yankee Stadium. Thinking about how an outfielder would have to adjust, he wisely stated: “It gets late early out there”. And it even makes sense. Sorta…

With his famous line Yogi could have been standing next to me while I took this early morning shot of this late train #4 a few years ago. It was running @ 79 MPH through central Kansas farmland, shattering that quiet moment just after sun-up. I might have tried to engage the Hall-of-Famer into talking about this former 90 MPH, double track territory which was in its Red & Silver passenger prime during the same period he was in his own prime as a Major League catcher & 18-time All-Star for the Yankees. But who knows where that conversation would have gone…

1. AMTK 131 leads a LATE train #4, the “Southwest ChiefEARLY in the morning in the boonies west of Elmdale, KS.
Photo info: 5:22 AM July 2, 2014.

It ain’t over till it’s over
Lance Garrels
santafe199

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/17/19 10:38 by santafe199.

Date: 04/17/19 16:37
Re: Yogi said it: “It's late EARLY out there!”
Author: Ritzville

Nice coloring in that photo Lance!

Larry

Date: 04/17/19 19:31
Author: cdub

I don't think Yogi was very bright. I just happened to say a lot of dumb things that people think are cute.

Posted from Android

Date: 04/17/19 20:54
Author: jcaestecker

Yogi would say that, like baseball, rail photography is 95% half mental.

-John

Date: 04/18/19 15:29
Author: ns1000

Cool pic!!

Date: 04/20/19 11:59
Author: texchief1

Excellent shot, Lance!  Love the lighting.  What time did you have to get up to make it Elmdale?

Randy Lundgren
Elgin, TX

Date: 04/20/19 14:29
Author: santafe199

texchief1 Wrote: > ...  what time did you have to get up ...

As I recall I left the house before 0400 give or take. It takes about 20 minutes to get through town and be on the highway south of Manhattan. It's right at 60 highway minutes Manhattan to US hwy 50 just west of Strong City, and another 10 minutes from there to Elmdale. Just west of Elmdale I spotted the headlight far enough away to make one of my patented stand-the-car-on-its-nose U turns. I hauled buns back to this farm field crossing and got the shots with about 30 seconds to spare. So counting time to dress, splash some water on my face and grab the cameras & a cuppa joe: Let's say I got up early enough to navigate the 90 minute trip to make the 0522 shot... with 30 seconds to spare!

Lance

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0366 seconds